Ford Automobiles Forum banner
3641 - 3660 of 3685 Posts

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
your water ingress could be caused by a door.

Your door seals can be fine but have water passing the outside window seal which would not be a problem normally as the bottom of the door has drain holes but if you have wiring from a speaker or similar that has managed to touch the skin of the door it can flow down the wire and down the inner side of the door carcass where it will come out between the door and the interior panel.

I was having water problems in the back and that is what it turned out to be and its been dry since i tied down all the wiring.
That could be a possibility. The sills and the carpet on the inside the car seem dry but then it's vertical surface so it wouldn't be exposed to water for any extended period of time.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
O.M.G, is my back sore today or what? I was lying down with head under the dash all day yesterday to remove pedal box, replace the brake pedal pushrod then replace the pedal box. I put some foam on the floor (no more carpets there as they got went and reeked so I binned them - besides, I would take sore back than feeling icky lying on wet carpets...)
I will take it easy today and paint the seat rails which have surface rust.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,766 Posts
Got the 20yr old Mondeo past the mot only £200 welding, welder says its still a nice car, he took it home as he didn't want to leave it in the street overnight. Mot guy should have given me a clean pass but missed the new nsf droplink when printed pass sheet.
Now to splurge out £127 car insurance and hopefully no more bills for now.
Edit Swinton insured me for £109 (no legal or courtesy car)

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
your water ingress could be caused by a door.

Your door seals can be fine but have water passing the outside window seal which would not be a problem normally as the bottom of the door has drain holes but if you have wiring from a speaker or similar that has managed to touch the skin of the door it can flow down the wire and down the inner side of the door carcass where it will come out between the door and the interior panel.

I was having water problems in the back and that is what it turned out to be and its been dry since i tied down all the wiring.
Ok I got the door trim out and trying to figure out this.
There are two door seals, a horizontal one piece strip going from A pillar to C pillar, which mates the door skin just inside of drain holes, the other one goes right around each door aperture.
So what you are saying is if something poked through the moisture barrier then rain water will run down between the door trim and the moisture barrier and then spill over the door aperture seal?

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
wasn't paying attention when driving and hit a kerb with the rear left tyre/wheel last night.
the tyre has a big of a gouge on the sidewall but it's el cheapo tyre so that's no big deal but this evening i noticed there is some sort of rumbling/grumbling sound. im guessing the wheel bearing is stuffed.
too tired to investigate tonight - the car made it home in one piece so that's an upside.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
'cos i needed wheels so went to a mechanic to get it sorted, only to be told they are too busy and come back in a couple of days.
still needed to do things so went out and had a quick fang on a motorway, then suddenly the noise disappeared.
i know a car doesn't fix itself so i'll have a proper look as soon as i get a chance.
also i almost made another stuff-up - wasn't paying attention (again) and had near-miss nose to tail.
the lesson here is buy good tyres and don't skip lunch...

·
Little Megger
4,823 Posts
Well, not so sure about the cheap tyre bit.... You'd have had a written off tyre whether it be cheap or expensive, so I reckon you've saved some money there!

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
instead of doing important work like fixing the water leak, i swapped the side repeater from orange lens to clear ones from facelift. i think it goes well the same them at the tail on estate. i should ve swapped the indicator lens from orange to clear as well when i did black eye mod too (well, it was white eye to match the white body colour in my case). speaking of which, what lens do people use for that?
also did partial transmission fluid change as i had only 1L of the good stuff.

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,200 Posts
i've moved it today to make way for the fiesta that's failed it's mot so, for at least the next week, it's going to be my daily
also, i politely declined the cost of fixing the failure point on the mot, bought both sides for less than half and no just have to wait for them to arrive, on the same day that they were going to arrive at the garage...who'd a thunk it eh

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
worked on rain leak fix, cowl cover back in with rtv seal at the windscreen base.
almost everything back in, except for door aperture seals, which will be put back in with rtv tomorrow.
everything seem ok after PCM & GEM were put back, so that was a relief.
also cleaned a couple of leather steering wheels - one is semi-shiny but hardly any grime came out of it and the other is matt but continue to come out black. i thought it's meant to be matt finish when brand new and it becomes shiny with oil and dirt from hands...

·
Registered
361 Posts
worked on rain leak fix, cowl cover back in with rtv seal at the windscreen base.
almost everything back in, except for door aperture seals, which will be put back in with rtv tomorrow.
everything seem ok after PCM & GEM were put back, so that was a relief.
also cleaned a couple of leather steering wheels - one is semi-shiny but hardly any grime came out of it and the other is matt but continue to come out black. i thought it's meant to be matt finish when brand new and it becomes shiny with oil and dirt from hands...
mine goes matt when cleaned, your correct but i think the leather can go hard and get almost polished too, my last mondeo had a patch where i palm steer that would always be shiny.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
put draft stop seal on the rear door where it leaks water. well, i'm just trying anything cos im out of ideas. i will have to take the car out for a drive next time it rains. also trying to figure out how to attach some offcut leather to worn out steering wheel spoke plastics. currently i have wrapped them with gloss black vinyl type deal - it looks great but i hate sunlight bouncing into the eyes off the lower spokes.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
its bucketing down outside so parked the car outside to see if leak fix has worked.
i d be happy if just the rear driver's side leak is fixed (because i need to soak up the water, stupid drain plugs are not at the lowest point of the floor. how stupid is that?)

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
Pull the drain plugs off and put cloth in the holes so its lower and see if it draws water down.
the drain plug is a pain because it's hard plastic and doesn't fit tight - i think i'll get a right size bath tub plug or one of those bike muffler plug, compliant to fit tight. not sure about cloth, it would smell dank, wouldnt it?
Can't find the leak use cloth to help pooling water drain off, if you are particular use colour coded materials or spray paint the cloth

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
that's how (i think) the back leak was coming in. the water comes through between the inner door skin and the door card (obviously the membrane must be stuffed - actually i ripped out a good membrane to investigate this, then put a plastic sheet on instead - which possibly didn't fit well), it should drain out, not in. maybe i should rip out the outer seal on the sill - i really don't see what it's there for.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,005 Posts
just had a bizarre experience. i reorganising mondeo parts in some boxes, i found a couple of blank aliex keys - for some reason i decided to try it on door lock. surprisingly it locked the doors, but to my relief didn't unlock.

3641 - 3660 of 3685 Posts