Ford Automobiles Forum banner
3741 - 3760 of 3786 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,698 Posts
On ebay, there's an '07 ST Ghia X Estate TDCi being broken 'cos it needs a clutch. I find that very sad :-(
Not as sad as my nephew scrapping the 2.2 Ghia estate that just needed a £60/£80? Clutch master cylinder.

·
Little Megger
4,899 Posts
I was going to 'like' that post Purple, but then felt that it wouldn't be appropriate due to the extreme sadness of it's content
:-(
(and I really want to ask you:'why didn't you try to stop him?')

·
Super Moderator
31,698 Posts
When I got my MK4.5 I did put the car in my mums garage but that is not exactly local. Then he needed a car so I
sold it to him.

Just could not be bothered to go and get the car and take it all the way to my mums. It would probably have sat there
until it seized up. It barely fitted in mums garage also, not a chance of opening a door whilst it was in there, had
to climb out the boot..

He bought a MK4 2.2 X-Sport.

·
Registered
445 Posts
He bought a MK4 2.2 X-Sport.
The X Sport is a lovely motor and what i think i will get when my Mk3 needs replacing, ive been saving for some time and should something happen right now could buy a nice one.

It would of course be a 2.5L T5 but im still torn between that and abandoning the brand after being a lifelong ford owner (we will allow the VR6 Galaxy as being a ford :rolleyes: ) so i can get another V6, i really dont like turbos :(

The integration of the stereo in the X Sport also scares me, it looks like the heater controls are in it and i will want to rip the stereo out :(

·
Super Moderator
31,698 Posts
Its not the Nav unit in the X-Sport which surprised me. I would have expected the X-Sport to have most
of the toys.

·
Little Megger
4,899 Posts
Got Mondy running again after 3 years languishing (car, not me) in carport. Need to shift it out so could get my daughter's car in to work on it as carport is only flat area on drive. So over the last week have refitted timing chain and cover, then all the fuel bits in engine bay, then last night primed and bled the fuel system, and finally got her started! Have left off the serpentine belt, pulleys and alternator for now as just need to move it onto drive, but it felt good just to hear that TDCi rattle again! Of course, today, rain stopped play.

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
The integration of the stereo in the X Sport also scares me, it looks like the heater controls are in it and i will want to rip the stereo out :(
Touchscreen sat nav in the Mk4 Tit X Sport was an optional extra. The majority of them have the Sony radio with completely separate heater controls and display. Some older models have a more basic type sat nav also with separate heater controls and display. So you could look for either of those.

There a no 2.5 petrol Tit X Sports for sale on Autotrader today.

·
Little Megger
4,899 Posts
Finally, after 3 years with the front sitting on axle stands, I lowered Mondy onto it's wheels and DROVE it out of the car port!
I have noticed, with dismay, that on the nearside, the underside floor adjacent to the cill where the axle stand was positioned looks like it's going rotten and has cracked - whether as a result of supporting the car for so long or not I don't know. Does anyone know if this is likely to mean 'the end of the road' for Mondy or is repairable..
I'd really like to keep Mondy as I'm quite fond of it's sunroof feature, which is a rarity

·
Registered
445 Posts
Touchscreen sat nav in the Mk4 Tit X Sport was an optional extra. The majority of them have the Sony radio with completely separate heater controls and display. Some older models have a more basic type sat nav with separate heater controls and display. So you could look for either of those.

There a no 2.5 petrol Tit X Sports for sale on Autotrader today.
Ooh, i didnt know that!

Yeah, the 2.5T is not very common, i have done a few searches and you have to be prepared to travel to get one, they were only made till 2009 if im right, after that its the ecoboost :(

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
Finally, after 3 years with the front sitting on axle stands, I lowered Mondy onto it's wheels and DROVE it out of the car port!
I have noticed, with dismay, that on the nearside, the underside floor adjacent to the cill where the axle stand was positioned looks like it's going rotten and has cracked - whether as a result of supporting the car for so long or not I don't know. Does anyone know if this is likely to mean 'the end of the road' for Mondy or is repairable..
I'd really like to keep Mondy as I'm quite fond of it's sunroof feature, which is a rarity
Shame. Anything is repairable in theory, but it's that old chestnut of whether it's economical and how much it's worth to you personally. What you can see may just be the tip of the iceberg.

My Tit X went from a couple of trivial advisories one MOT, to multiple structural rust issues like this next MOT. As much as I liked the car, it was actually quite an easy decision to scrap it. On the other hand, I've kept several cars on the road in the past by patching rust holes, just to get an MOT pass.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,869 Posts
Just had left and right side floor section welded near front jacking points for mot ,rear driverside sill was welded 2yrs ago, the garage i use charges £100 a section, it now has developed a droning noise possible gearbox bearing but hoping its just a wheel bearing,
May attempt to repair or scrap it now after 20yrs.

·
Little Megger
4,899 Posts
Well, maybe those front floor sections are a known area to go. Mine's the estate and the rear subframes on the estate isn't called a subframe, it's a cross member, and where the springs rest on them is a rot magnet, and replacement cross-members are getting rare, so I'll have to inspect it to see if it's going to be a viable keeper or not.

Reactions: mondy zetecs

·
Little Megger
4,899 Posts
Have a read of this thread...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Estate breaking Ebay
I wonder if it is the clutch itself or the dual mass flywheel, not an ST but my old man Scrapped his TDCI Mk3 because of that, he had one done but when it went a second time he weighed the car in and bought a focus.

The TDCI is know for them failing, apparently the V6 also has a dual mass flywheel as well but i never labor mine and its always at 2000 rpm or more but not heard of them failing.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,530 Posts

·
Megger
2,888 Posts
Yeah; my Mk 3TDCI is starting to get rather expensive to keep in the road, but having just put four tyres, passed the MOT and then paid road tax, I have too much investment to scrap it.

So am going to undertake a 'revival' exercise. New aux and PAS belts, new bearings in the various belt pulleys (cheaper than buying complete aux belt set as the tensioner is fine); probably replace the front shocks and likewise, all the rear suspension inc tie rods and lower arms. Not really budgeted it but keeping it on the road in good condition will be less expensive that scrapping and buying something that I don't really want. I like just like the MK3.

·
Megger
2,888 Posts
That must be so satisfying. Only ever done one major engine related job to the car when I had to replace the high pressure pump, cleaned all the fuel lines and tank, etc. It was so satisfying when it started first time.

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
apparently the V6 also has a dual mass flywheel as well but i never labor mine and its always at 2000 rpm or more but not heard of them failing.
I didn't realise that. From what I've just read, the ST220 definitely (well, almost certainly) does. After that, though, there seems to be very little knowledge around. I would assume that other 3.0 V6s have them, but I've read one old Talkford thread where the OP found that his early 2.5 V6 didn't have a dual mass flywheel when it was replaced.

3741 - 3760 of 3786 Posts