Ford Automobiles Forum banner
3761 - 3780 of 3786 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I didn't realise that. From what I've just read, the ST220 definitely (well, almost certainly) does. After that, though, there seems to be very little knowledge around. I would assume that other 3.0 V6s have them, but I've read one old Talkford thread where the OP found that his early 2.5 V6 didn't have a dual mass flywheel when it was replaced.
If you put your foot down more than just maintaining your speed when below 2000rpm do you get that hush sound in the ST220?

Both of my 2.5 V6's have made that sound but i never found out what it is but avoid ever being below 2000rpm.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My 2002 2.5 v6 supposedly has a single mass flywheel according to catcar and a motor factor when i enquired.
Ahh ok, i sold the engine and gearbox from my old 2.5 V6 and it was bought by someone who was going to put it in a Mazda Bongo and he specifically wanted mine cos it was complete and could not find one with a flywheel.

It was him that said to me they were a dual mass.

Just looked at the prices for having the clutch changed on my car just out of interest as its one of those pig jobs i would be tempted to have done by someone else, errrm, no :oops: at over £500 i will scramble around on the floor if it ever needs doing!!

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
If you put your foot down more than just maintaining your speed when below 2000rpm do you get that hush sound in the ST220?

Both of my 2.5 V6's have made that sound but i never found out what it is but avoid ever being below 2000rpm.
I can't say I've noticed a sound like that with mine. It just burbles and growls when you put your foot down.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I can't say I've noticed a sound like that with mine. It just burbles and growls when you put your foot down.
Its just below 2k, if you are in say 4th at 30 and put your foot down any more than is enough to maintain your speed, it will go 'Hushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' till you pass 2k.

Dont know what it is but it seems normal for the 2.5 V6 as both of mine did it, my first was on 32,000 and 3 years old when i got the car and my current one on 62,000 when i got it so its not like they were worn out cars.

I was super paranoid something was wrong when i heard it on my first but never found out why it does it, i have always avoided the car being below 2k other than in 1st as im sure its some kind of straining noise.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My ST220 definitely doesn't make a noise like this.
I will have to try and get a recording of the noise, i saw posts of others mention the noise on their 2.5 many years ago when i was worried about my first V6 but they didnt get to the bottom of it either.

When my current V6 did the same, i came to think that its just what they do but dont know why, i thought that it might be something to do with a Dual mass flywheel being labored at low revs but Mondy Zetecs says it appears the 2.5 is single mass so now im back to having no idea what causes the noise.

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,054 Posts
Went to scope out a replacement vehicle for mondy - 600km 8 hour return trip. Had a blast, driving the twisties and passing cars. Except for one I couldnt keep up - 2006 Toyota Estima V6 Aeras 3.5L. I thought it was just another people mover but I got absolutely smoked. I think the driver was local there so knew how to drive the twisties as well.
I don't mind not being able to keep up but I do take exception to the arseholes who only speed up when passing lane shows up. (This was one of them)

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
Well, mine apparently has a DMF, so maybe the opposite is true? That's what I'd be telling myself, to sleep better.
What confused me is that when googling the other day, there were numerous adverts for lightened SMFs for the ST220, so I thought that the ST220 must have an SMF. But all those funny parts websites were listing DMFs for the V6 (including the 2.5 V6). I keep forgetting to look in Catcar/7zap for stuff like this - it really should be the first place to check.

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
Went to scope out a replacement vehicle for mondy - 600km 8 hour return trip. Had a blast, driving the twisties and passing cars. Except for one I couldnt keep up - 2006 Toyota Estima V6 Aeras 3.5L. I thought it was just another people mover but I got absolutely smoked. I think the driver was local there so knew how to drive the twisties as well.
I don't mind not being able to keep up but I do take exception to the arseholes who only speed up when passing lane shows up. (This was one of them)
Is the Estima what we know as the Previa in the UK? I didn't realise they had that kind of performance. I must say, I find the V6 Alphard a very eye-catching vehicle. If I needed a van, I wouldn't mind one of those (or a Mk1 Transit).

·
Hiding under a Rock
1,054 Posts
Is the Estima what we know as the Previa in the UK? I didn't realise they had that kind of performance. I must say, I find the V6 Alphard a very eye-catching vehicle. If I needed a van, I wouldn't mind one of those (or a Mk1 Transit).
Yes I think it's called Previa in some markets - similar to V6 Alphard, but I think Alphard is more luxurious version.
I'm told in Hong Kong and Singapore Alphard is used as like shuttle taxi type deal.
I'm guessing Estima is the name for Japanese market, we get loads of second hand Japanese cars here - a big business.
Like they need to offload a few year old cars that are expensive to keep on the road, and we need affordable cars 'cos public transportation is either rubbish or impractical.

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
A generic 7zap search comes up with this:

The implication is that only the 6 speed ST220 V6 built from 2nd June 2003 has a SMF, and every other V6 (5 or 6 speed) has a DMF.

A Catcar search with my VIN shows:
Water Rectangle Font Circle Writing

which kind of confirms that all 6 speed V6s built from 1st June 2003 have a DMF except for the ST220 built from 2nd June 2003 (but not on 1st June!). So mine should have a SMF? FIIK!

Do you guys have 5 or 6 speed? Have you tried a 7zap/Catcar search with your VINs?

·
Registered
445 Posts
A generic 7zap search comes up with this:

The implication is that only the 6 speed ST220 V6 built from 2nd June 2003 has a SMF, and every other V6 (5 or 6 speed) has a DMF.

A Catcar search with my VIN shows: View attachment 260233
which kind of confirms that all 6 speed V6s built from 1st June 2003 have a DMF except for the ST220 built from 2nd June 2003 (but not on 1st June!). So mine should have a SMF? FIIK!

Do you guys have 5 or 6 speed? Have you tried a 7zap/Catcar search with your VINs?
I have a Dec 2002 5 speed 2.5 V6 so im SMF?

·
Clever Clauggs
4,869 Posts
My June 2002 registered, build date Sept. 2001 is 5 speed MTX75 previous search from a motor factor indicated SMF
Might find out which flywheel as i've a droning noise, sounds like its from gearbox if i dismantle in the summer.

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
Unless it's possible to see enough of the flywheel to ID it, I don't reckon you'd know for certain what you have until you come to replace it. Hopefully, by this stage you've bought the correct replacement or not bought anything yet.

3761 - 3780 of 3786 Posts