What did you do with your Mondeo today

183K views 4K replies 105 participants last post by  Steve_v6 
#1 ·
I gave mine a bit of a work out

fd939ccd83266845a2a5cf25d23ddbd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#453 ·
finally replaced the rear shock, i hate compressing those damn springs.

one of the top 10mm bolts holding the strut up into the arch had siezed solid and started rounding so had to get an irwin socket onto it and it came out with a bit of harsh language, other than that all the other bolts came out fine to my surprise.

next job sand down the rusty patches on rear arches, treat with kurust, prime then paint.

#454 ·
Tonight I drove over a kerb and burst my two NS tyres, potentially damaging at least 1 of the 16" Zetec alloys.

Thankfully it's parked up right outside my local tyre repair shop in Johnstone. Keys through his door and he'll loom at it first thing in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#457 ·
Not today, but over the weekend, got Mondy on ramps to take a pre-mot gander at the underneath. Dismayed at all the rust and flaking waxoyl. Just doesn't do what it says on the tin. 'Powerful rust killers' indeed. Spent weekend wire brushing what I could then painting on a mix of waxoyl + hypoid oil as I've heard it's more effective than waxoyl alone. Discovered hole in exhaust where a hanger is/was suspended from.
Noted with relief that smoke test limits are unchanged with the new stricter mot. It stands a chance then!

#458 ·
I looked at mine today through the kitchen window :)
Its been off the road since failing its MOT on the 23rd of April.
I dislocated a finger yesterday lifting something very heavy so it's likely to be at least another week before I start fixing it.

#461 ·
Depends, Inc vat? What's their hourly rate? Are you hands-on, ie, Can you tackle it yourself?

#463 · (Edited by Moderator)
Regulators are £20 new off ebay, so I think £90 is steep. It's the sort of part you don't need to pay dealer prices for, although they'd probably be even more expensive from Ford.

Labour wise, well I probably spent an hour just trying to get the door membrane off mine in one piece (didn't even manage it then...). I doubt a garage would mess around like this, though. It's a fiddly job, so 1.5 hours is probably not an unreasonable labour time.

#464 · (Edited by Moderator)
Was expecting from biggredu proper white silicon paste for the caliper sliders,but the

silicon grease is clear or opaque gel in satchets.

I'm sure my carriers are fitted wrong side round on the rear, as the bottom slider

with the rubber goes in easier in top hole and jams on the bottom hole.

Will take it off at a later time and see but slides better in the top hole for now.

Got to do that bodged exhaust gasket properly for mot.

#468 ·
Regulators are £20 new off ebay, so I think £90 is steep. It's the sort of part you don't need to pay dealer prices for, although they'd probably be even more expensive from Ford.

Labour wise, well I probably spent an hour just trying to get the door membrane off mine in one piece (didn't even manage it then...). I doubt a garage would mess around like this, though. It's a fiddly job, so 1.5 hours is probably not an unreasonable labour time.
the ones on ebay don't include the motor. without sounding like a dick, how will I know if it needs a motor?

Mechanic in my work is going to do it for me.

#469 ·
if you still hear the motor noise then it will be just the regulator thats snapped or jammed up, been there a couple of time, fairly easy job, hardest bit is peeling back the door membrane thats on with the mastic from hell.

#470 · (Edited by Moderator)
the ones on ebay don't include the motor. without sounding like a dick, how will I know if it needs a motor?

You won't know until you can see what's been going on inside the door, but it's more likely to be the regulator. Did you get any warning that all was not well? It's the cables that tend to rust, fray then snap. While this is going on you usually get graunching noises and sticking, until eventually the whole thing jams and gives up. This is when you hope it happens with the window in the closed position.

#471 ·

You won't know until you can see what's been going on inside the door, but it's more likely to be the regulator. Did you get any warning that all was not well? It's the cables that tend to rust, fray then snap. While this is going on you usually get graunching noises and sticking, until eventually the whole thing jams and gives up. This is when you hope it happens with the window in the closed position.
Yeah pretty much this!

Part'll get ordered tonight.

Just fitted front footwell bulbs. that freebie to do list is getting smaller!!!

#473 · (Edited by Moderator)
Did exhaust gasket leak with proper paste and cleaned caliper piston that wasn't releasing
Ready for mot
Good luck, what with the new emissions rules.

Reactions: mondy zetecs
#476 ·
Give it a good boot too somewhere near the mot station to give it a blow out, my mot centre is on a dual carriageway so I did 3 passes in 2nd gear

Reactions: mondy zetecs