Ford Automobiles Forum banner

What do you really dislike about the Mk5 Mondeo?

115K views 510 replies 97 participants last post by  ronniescot 
#1 ·
I have sat in 2 different Mk 5's in the last few days and didn't notice this in the Titanium but did in the Zetec but I think it is common to both. The centre console has a cheap plastic silver finish surround, about an inch wide, that starts above the air vents and ends at the rear of the gear stick. I think it looks pants so I think the surround would have looked much better in a mirror finish black.

Also with the upgraded Sony Radio there is again a cheap plastic finish between the round buttons that does nothing to enhance the car.

#2 ·
Let me start by saying that my initial impressions of the new Mondeo are ones of disappointment.

I so want this car to be much better than the one it replaces, ie the one I have now.

It has had one of the longest launches in the history of the car and that makes the long wait all the more frustrating.

I will also add that I have not driven one, but have sat in one in the showroom.

It doesn't seem to be as spacious, and the stats suggest that the boot is smaller, and I fill the boot of my estate right up on occasions (think daughter at university full).

The quality of the interior is better but still not as good as they hint, in that they say they are gunning for the big three Germans.

I haven't done a full price comparison but stuff that is standard on my Titanium X Sport is extra on the new one, and that includes parking sensors!

Just to annoy me further I noticed that the fuel tank is down from 70 to 62 litres, and the range isn't fantastic when you have an Ecoboost engine.

Guess I need to drive one when they finally get their act together and there are demo cars to actually drive.

Shame the Passat estate comes with only diesel.

#4 ·
didn't realise the fuel capacity was down to 62 litres.

I dislike the fact it has taken so long to be launched...... I hope I don't grow to dislike the fact i ordered one blind either :)

Reactions: alexbo
#6 ·
What do I really dislike about the Mk5 Mondeo? I really dislike the fact that I'm too poor to buy :mad:
same lol
If i had the spare cash would go for a 2014 titanium x estate

Maybe that is what I will do next time round. I have a 203 BHP Ecoboost Titanium X Sport (what a mouthful) and it would be nice to have the 240BHP Mark 4.5 at a reasonable price.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well having taken delivery of mine I can say it is a giant step forward in design and quality. The Sync 2 isn't quite as intuitive as Convers+ but then probably just not used to it yet. Interior fit and finish are better and it is MUCH quieter when driving. The boot is about 6" longer but not as wide although overall I wouldn't say there is much in it - certainly compared to the previous X Sport which had the raised floor to cover the full size spare I had. Interior space is possible a fraction less but really not much in it.

#12 ·
When I say full size I meant not a space saver. It was a 16" steel wheel with full size tyre and no speed limitations. There was a 6" 'booster' to the boot floor around it to enable the floor to be flat.

The new one is 2.0 240 Titanium X pack with various options - see 'it's arrived' thread

#17 ·
Is there a manual overide with the torgue converter as there is with the powershift? On the Mk4.5 Ford made a big thing about the powershift, now they have dropped it on some versions. I have a powershift on my 4.5 so why would I want to go back to a torgue converter if I bought a petrol version? No doubt Ford have there reasons though.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
What is putting me off the auto petrol is the official urban figure of 32MPG. In reality that means maybe the high 20's for just a 1.5L petrol with stop start. This is truly a shocking figure. A BMW MPV active tourer automatic also with a 1.5 petrol returns 46MPG for urban driving. I would guess that in real world driving it would be around the 40MPG mark.

#21 ·
What is putting me off the auto petrol is the official urban figure of 32MPG. In reality that means maybe the high 20's for just a 1.5L petrol with stop start. This is truly a shocking figure. A BMW MPV active tourer automatic also with a 1.5 petrol returns 46MPG for urban driving. I would guess that in real world driving it would be around the 40MPG mark.
that car might be lighter and with a more efficient gearbox (CVT, ECG, dual clutch) ... the new B8 Passat is lighter by ~100kg (comparing 1.4 TSI dry DSG vs 1.5 Ecoboost auto) and on paper has 44MPG vs 36MPG in city driving ... in reality time will tell if the numbers get better than 28-30 vs 20-22 and that is before the torque converters start aging ... for the larger displacement engines it will look worse

#22 ·
I did a testdrive yesterday and spent some more time in the car playing around with the Sync touchsreen interface. I really don't like the fact the touchscreen is of resistive type, on stand still it takes many times several presses to register a 'click', not to mention while driving. I'm also worried about the touchscreen aging, the resistive one are more prone to this and after a few years it might begin showing its age around the edges first where there are many virtual buttons to press.
Anyone with some years of experience with automotive resistive touchscreens? Are they still working as they should?

One more thing regarding setting destinations for satnav: any way to quickly specify the center of a city instead of having to randomly picking a street name and number when I just need to get close by?

#24 ·
Hi All.

My dislikes so far:

1. The trouble I had removing the number plate lights to replace the bulbs with leds.

I cracked one and had to buy a replacement.

2. The lower grille in the Titanium is 'shiny finished' while the upper is not. In time I can see

it getting tarnished from weather and from waxing the chrome.

#25 ·
i've decided I don't like the rear wiper blade position - it just looks stupid, like it's got stuck there.

much prefer them in a lower position along the bottom of rear screen - its going to bug me for the next few years lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.