Ford Automobiles Forum banner
501 - 511 of 511 Posts
Just turn off the auto high beam feature for good, and switch between high and low beams yourself. The way it's implemented in the Mk5 makes it very easy and convenient: push the lever towards the dash to turn the high beam on or off, pull it towards you to give a short flash.

In the Mk4 it was a bit awkward, because the lever went only one way, and the difference between a flash and a high beam activation consisted solely in the force you put into pulling the lever. Countless times I wanted to flash and I turned on the high beam instead because I pulled the lever just a tiny bit too hard. Nasty design. But in the Mk5 it's bliss.

The thing is, auto high beam doesn't mean that you simply forget about it. It's not like the auto headlights feature, which works consistently and reliably. With the auto high beam I was always, always paying attention to what it was doing: "Let's see, now it should switch to high beam, will it switch? Oh, yes, it did. Cool! Now, a car is coming the other way. Will it switch to low beam? Come on, come on... oh, it did, that's good. Now, there's no one coming the other way, will it switch to high beam? Hmmm... no, it's not switching. Why won't it switch? Oh, it's probably because of that street light over there. OK, I'll do it myself." And it would go on like this for the entire journey. Very tiring and annoying. It's much easier and more convenient to just do it myself every time.
That is why I turned mine off too!

Before I start Love how it looks and goes,

HATE how water still pours into the boot and on your head when it's been raining .

Yes the window buttons are to far forward like others here always operate the rears.

Hate that the stereo keeps rebooting but even when it doesn't hate that the surround mode in settings always reverts to stereo.

The clock never changes with the hour change even thou it's set to do so.

The ambiant lighting could be better.

Hate that when the car is wet the handles will lock when you grab to open even though you unlocked the car because it's chucking it down you just want to get in.

Hate that the tones of chimes change from time to time and so you're looking at the display for what's wrong.

Hate that the leather marks due to seatbelts when you fold seats down this was a problem on my mk3 you'd think they could sort this stuff out by now .

Finally hate the economy NOTHING at all like what they quote. even when I drive like a nun.
Seconded, especially the fuel economy. I got an EASY 54mpg out of my old Mk3 2.0Tdci. Now I struggle to get 44 out of the same sized engine. You would have thought that engine technology would have improved in 13 years?

What do I dislike about the Mk5?

Well, when they first came out it was the front end, I thought it was a bit of a munter to be honest. Now though what I really dislike is that they're out of my price range as I quite like the look of them now.

Reactions: yanna1
Before I start Love how it looks and goes,

HATE how water still pours into the boot and on your head when it's been raining .

Yes the window buttons are to far forward like others here always operate the rears.

Hate that the stereo keeps rebooting but even when it doesn't hate that the surround mode in settings always reverts to stereo.

The clock never changes with the hour change even thou it's set to do so.

The ambiant lighting could be better.

Hate that when the car is wet the handles will lock when you grab to open even though you unlocked the car because it's chucking it down you just want to get in.

Hate that the tones of chimes change from time to time and so you're looking at the display for what's wrong.

Hate that the leather marks due to seatbelts when you fold seats down this was a problem on my mk3 you'd think they could sort this stuff out by now .

Finally hate the economy NOTHING at all like what they quote. even when I drive like a nun.
Seconded, especially the fuel economy. I got an EASY 54mpg out of my old Mk3 2.0Tdci. Now I struggle to get 44 out of the same sized engine. You would have thought that engine technology would have improved in 13 years?
Wow ....the absalute best I ever got was 40mpg on a motorway run nice and steady usually get 28 ish driver round to work etc city streets. not great. Yeah you would think it would have been improved buy now.

The thing is, auto high beam doesn't mean that you simply forget about it. It's not like the auto headlights feature, which works consistently and reliably. With the auto high beam I was always, always paying attention to what it was doing: "Let's see, now it should switch to high beam, will it switch? Oh, yes, it did. Cool! Now, a car is coming the other way. Will it switch to low beam? Come on, come on... oh, it did, that's good. Now, there's no one coming the other way, will it switch to high beam? Hmmm... no, it's not switching. Why won't it switch? Oh, it's probably because of that street light over there. OK, I'll do it myself." And it would go on like this for the entire journey. Very tiring and annoying. It's much easier and more convenient to just do it myself every time.
What a relief to read this, and other people's agreement with it. My partner gets impatient when I obsess over auto high beam, so I thought it was just me!

Thanks Vlad.

I never had a single problem with my Mk5 that had the LED lights with auto high beam. I did a lot of night driving and they never missed a beat, one of the best things on the car - miss them like crazy now

I hate the way the passenger seat belt buckle rattles against the passenger seat side,annoys the t1ts off me.

Mick, I know what you mean, the Beemer is the same. I can't remember now, is there not a plastic "slider" on the Mondeo webbing that you can adjust so the buckle sits higher or lower on the webbing, hence not flapping about

3 little things on a brand new EcoBlue St-Line 190HP 8Speed Estate that should have LEDs everywhere & a Oops:

1. Makeup mirrors, act like old burnt out bulbs
2. Same with license plate light, replaced with LED, much better. (Replaced for free at our Ford dealer)
3. Contact on electric tailgate should have built-in light, hard to find in the dark at closing
4. Inside, the red stitching on the front doors...they were forgotten on the back doors :rolleyes:

Too bad, because it's a fantastic car (y)

Pics from Ford DK
Front door
Rear door

Edit:
Found one more thing: The car is built in Spain (Ford factory in Valencia) & got the package with eg seat heated back & in steering wheel + 230v plug, but the plug is Spanish :rolleyes:

Update:
Ford could not switch power contact from Spanish to Danish, but our local car electrician could ;)

Now more than 1/2 year after purchase, SONY has the same terrible yellow light as on standard radio, why could they not be a nicer eg Ford blue?
Ford will not change them, maybe I should go to our car electrician again.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design

I dread to think what some people get up to with these touch screens whilst veh is moving.
To use them whilst on the move is probably more dangerous than using a non hands free phn.
As said before, they should not be operable to change things once a veh is moving
I do a lot of motorway miles and you don't need to dread to think because I can tell you what they do. When I see someone ahead wandering out of their lane, I take a good look at them when I pass and their eyes are cast down texting on their phone. If I was a cop I could hand out 10+ six-pointers per day.

I have a fantasy about setting up front and side facing dashcams. I would film the idiot almost running into the central reservation, giving themselves such a fright that they pull back to the middle lane, then I would match speed with them and my side mounted dash cam would record them continuing with their text/whatsap conversation. I would then toot my horn and catch the look of surprise and shock on their face when they see they are being filmed (that's the funny bit). I would then upload the recording to my Youtube Hall-of-Shame channel. Honestly, I see this scenario play out once a week and sometimes its articulated lorries! I've never filmed it but now that I think about it, my channel might go viral and I could makes some money from it. :)

501 - 511 of 511 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.