Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am at work at the moment so have no access to the owners manual or the haynes manual but just curious as to the size of the mk3 wipers.

My wipers iced up last night and stayed in a curved shape ( same curve as the screen at the bottom ) until nearly dinnertime today when they finally started wiping the screen properly again with no judder or missing most of the screen.

so i am wanting to change to some of them flat / aero wipers like the new mondies seem to have. ( nice and bendy even in the cold weather ) I have seen on the net mention of a set of them available from Ford themselves to fit on the existing wiper arms as a direct replacement.

it was a set of 1x22" & 1x19" that i have seen piccies of ( not on a mondy though ) and just wondered if these sizes seem to ring a bell.

·
Big Megger
310 Posts
Too bloody cold to go outside and measure mine at the moment but I think they are 20" & 22".
Have a look on ebay to make sure, they're on there.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found a quite few minutes when at work but was unable to find the tape measure so i am still unsure cos the haynes is as useful as ever. :BEEP:

found a tape measure at home and your right 22" (well just under) drivers side & 20" passenger side so i know for sure now and can look round for some wipers that have no moving parts that can freeze like the current ones did. :L

The ones i have seen on the net were for a focus ( seen on FFOC website ) but ford may have started doing others too so i will have a wonder down when they open again on monday and find out.

·
Big Megger
310 Posts
Glad I could be of some help. My fronts are okay but my rear (the silly little one on the estate) is missing half the screen.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my front wipers still wipe the screen well when they aint frozen in a bent shape or realy gunked up with crap but my rear one is starting to give up ( still wipes but its leaving streaks even when cleaned ) so i was going to replace all 3 wipers and then just save me front ones as spares.

The rear wiper does get a good beating from all the road grime that gets sucked up onto the rear window on the estate, if not kept clean when its raining or the road is damp it can take a fair few wipes and sprays of the washer to get the window clean again ( for a few hundred yards anyway :BEEP: )

the estate rear wiper is 11" according to the booklet in my local halfords, it also has the fronts as 22"& 20" so i will have to see what my local dealer can get hold of with regards the flat type wiper blades.

·
MEG Commander
3,573 Posts
Just check that the new Focus ones will fit your wiper arms.

I was in at a Ford dealers on Friday afternoon, and the wiper arms on the new Focus looked quite different to on my Mk3.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just been down to my local stealer and asked them about the flat wipers and i got a blank look as they did not know what i meant :( .

handed them the finis number for the wipers for the focus and said "i would like a set of those for a 2001 mondeo please"

off the chap went and fiddled with the PC for a fair few minutes and on his return he said they have some showing on the computer but they have to be ordered in. ( different finis code to the focus so heres hoping. Will know for sure when they arrive, hopefully tomorrow sometime )

The ones that i saw piccies of on the focus were on a mk1/1.5 focus so it had the standard wiper arms not the strange aerotwin style wiper arm like the new mk2 focus has. :L

Piccy from FFOC website ( i hope )

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
compuwiz_uk said:
just been down to my local [color:red] stealer [/color]
:}

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just been and got me new wipers.

They fit, They Work & They Look :love: . ( well i think so, some may not like them :whistling: )

They are for the mk3 mondeo and fit straight on easier than the normal wipers blades that were on.

The part number is 1364121 and that gets you both the 22" & the 20" wipers as a pair.

Cost £34.80 inc VAT or there abouts ( depends on the dealer )

odd thing happened today though, ordered my new wipers yesterday and the old wipers still had the black dot showing ( no sign of a change either ), removed them today at the dealers and the dot has turned yellow overnight. :loopy: ( ok the drivers side wiper has only half changed but its still :loopy: )

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
does the dot mean they need changing?

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep, or at least thats when they are not at there best, they were still working fine before i changed em.

black is ok yellow is needs changing according to the new box of wipers. ( big money making scheme if you ask me :whistling: )

·
MEG Commander
3,573 Posts
Cool, but bloody expensive.

My Valeo Ultimate wipers are US$15 each from Walmart, or US$30 each from the website that sells them. That includes shipping and works out about the same as Ford want. What a rip-off. My father-in-law got me three for my car, and three for my wifes, all for £60.

Of course the Valeo ones did need converting to RHD and don't have the yellow spot.

They do look really good though. I drove home (to West Yorks) from the South Coast today, and they are super quiet, even after 8 months of use.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
compuwiz_uk said:
big money making scheme if you ask me :whistling:
i agree i change mine when i think theyre not doing their job.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
totalguy said:
compuwiz_uk said:
big money making scheme if you ask me :whistling:
i agree i change mine when i think theyre not doing their job.
I do usually ( remembers the MOT my last mondeo went through with the dot coloured in with a marker pen, just incase it failed on the yellow dot :innocent: ). I have still got the old wipers as spares as they were still wiping fine when clean / not having a frozen frame but i just liked the look of the flat wipers and just could not resist. :D

Dammmmm, forgot to buy my standard rear wiper while i was there :headshake: that one does need changing as it has got lumps on the blade that do not come off and is leaving more & more streaks the more i use it. ( It dont look like a quality one either )

Gives me somat to do in the morning i guess :stupid:

·
Super Moderator
5,342 Posts
compuwiz_uk said:
The part number is 1364121 and that gets you both the 22" & the 20" wipers as a pair.

Cost £34.80 inc VAT or there abouts ( depends on the dealer )
Been to me local dealer (500 Yards) for me, normaly use them for me service & any service parts I needs.

There comments were 1st time we seen these, I didn't know that you can get them for the mondeo ?. Whats special about them ?

Price was the same, but now have on order. Now just waiting that phone call :D

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yep, i got a blank look from the parts chap too when i asked for them.

I had the focus finis code though and he found the mondy ones using that as a starting point.

Watch out when you go to collect them though, the parts chap where i went had not heard of them / seen them before either so he opened the box and had a look at them before handing them over to me :whistling: ( they had only just arrived so they could not look at them sneakily - i saw the delivery van arrive and pounced before they had even finished unloading :D The delivery was late due to traffic on the motorway )

·
Banned
716 Posts
Yes last week in the snowy icey weather my wipers would not wipe the screen properly, never had this in any other car. I thought that it was the arm joint not working due to ice, never thought about the actual rubber.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the rubber was fine as i scraped all the ice off it and it felt flexible enough but it was the little arches that let the rubber flex that had frozen enough to stop them moving properly and so holding the rubber in the slightly curved shape. ( i think anyway )

Warm water or de-icer may have cured it i suppose but i just liked these wipers too much when i saw them on the focus. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,342 Posts
Finaly got me wipers at last. Local dealer no go, he was saying that I would have to buy 10 sets of them, as that was the min. order from fords. (What a load of bull droppings.)

Anyway went to the main dealer In Leeds on Kirkstall Road, place the order yesterday & there were in today.

The man on the parts counter did say that he did have to order 10 sets, but they will sell anyway. So they have 9 sets left. Get now while the going is good, no delay, in stock, the price to you £34.81.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mmmmmmmm, the dealer i went to said nothing of having to get 10 he just said my wipers would be there the following day so they must have 9 or so left also. ( he did ask for them paying for in advance though )

West Yorkshire Motors / Polar Ford ( recent refurbishment so it could be either )
Junction 32 off M62

£34.80 a set ( must be closer to the distribution centre than the leeds branch :D 1p a set cheaper )

have you had a chance to test them out yet, mine seem to get rid of the fine road spray better than my old wipers did :first:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts