Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Big Megger
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't necessarily engine related but seeing as it's a v6 and I don't know what's wrong I'll put this here.

For the past 2 or 3 weeks I've been getting a 'clunking' noise when slowing down, the car also jerks a bit when this happens. I had feeling it was the gearbox but could be completely wrong.

I've just used the car for the 1st time today and when I started it, it didn't sound right, hard to say exactly what but I could tell there was something very slightly different.

First thing I noticed was the speedo not working, it wobbled up and down a bit and then just stopped at the bottom. I went for a 15min drive and still it didn't work. The clunking noise was still there when slowing down from 30ish in 3rd, 2nd and 1st. After about 10 mins of driving my traction control light came on the dashboard and stayed on, until I stopped the car and started it again, but then it came on again after about 30 seconds.

It's been cold overnight here for 3 or 4 nights (-5ish), could the cold have caused something?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think you may have a couple of un-related probs there. the clunking sounds suspension related.
Best to take the wheels off and have a poke around to see if anything is worn or loose.

The dash problems sound electrical but its hard to know where to start. Bad earth possibly, is the traction control working?

·
Big Megger
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The speedo and traction control appear to be ok now. Maybe a loose or dodgy connection somewhere, I'll see how it goes.

I'll take a look at the suspension tomorrow but I wouldn't know what I'm looking for really.

thanks for you help.

·
MEG Corporal
599 Posts
rear roll restricter/engine mount/or whatever the flippin things called...?

·
Big Megger
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes wheel nuts are fine :)

Anyone got more info on the rear roll restrictor/engine mount thing?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah, it bolts to the back of the diff area. Just look at it and you will probably see the centre mounting is well offcentre and the rubber is split......aint expensive and very easy to change.

·
Ex-Ford owner
852 Posts
Its a metal bracket, two halves that join in the middle with a big O, large rubber lump in the middle of the O, with a large bolt going through it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts