Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
tyre kicker
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks..
I think my rear nearside wheel bearing has just gone..
went on friday from manchester to liverpool and back, never went over 80, bit of a cruise, and noticed it when i got back that afternoon..

If im driving in a straight line and just do a little move to the left, then it makes a noise, so im guessing thats a bearing..

Is it a big/expensive job,.?

any advice would be much appreiceated ...
thanks guys..

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
It is DIY'able if you are handy with the spanners. Bearing comes in a complete hub unit which should bolt off/bolt on. I say should as some people have trouble with the bolts and they need to be drilled out.

Prices range from £40 on ebay to really bloody expensive Ford prices. You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
12,458 Posts
Easy job to do, you can pick them up from ebay for £40 ish, or spend £200 on one from Ford. The ebay ones seems to be hit and miss on how long they will last. SKF make OE Ford one which can be bought for around the £100 ish mark from Euro Car Parts, with one of there discount codes. Some prefer the cheaper ebay ones, some prefer the SKF ones, I myself prefer fitting the SKF ones, and I also know a taxi firm owner who only fits SKF ones and will not fit cheap ones any more due to a few of them failing early.

Have a read of this, all you need to know on fitting them. You can't go worng, easy job, just use plenty of GT85 or Plusgas first. http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Rear_Wheel_Bearing

·
tyre kicker
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok lads..thanks for that, its a great help...im not too bad with spanners, im a floor layer by trade so a pretty hands on job as it were..
I guess the wise thing to do would be get the decent part, ive seen them for 30 odd quid on fleabay, so i guess they are the dodgy ones..

thanks for the replys mate's...

·
Premium Member
12,458 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts