Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls,

I am having a few problems understanding offset... Can you help??

I am currently running 19" x 8.5" Focus RS Alloys with an ET of 60? with 15mm spacers.

I want a set of 20" x 9" alloys with an ET of 45... Will they fit straight on without the need for spacers??

Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
I wouldnt have thought the studs/bolts would be long enough for a 15mm spacer.

Is there enough clearance between the suspension and wheel with a 9" wheel?

265 wide tyres? Will it just float when it rains?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldnt have thought the studs/bolts would be long enough for a 15mm spacer.

The spacers were hub-centric jobbies. Had their own studs and bolted onto the old ones.

Is there enough clearance between the suspension and wheel with a 9" wheel?

That's what I need to check...

265 wide tyres? Will it just float when it rains?
Will be on 240's.

·
got enough names thanks
1,717 Posts
The 15mm spacers you had on the 8.5's ET60...will effectively give you a 45mm offset.that you have on the new rims..so the new 20's are 1/2" wider than the old ones...which means roughly a 1/4" will go inside and a 1/4" more sticky outy! it's not exactly that because the offset and any offset for that matter will ensure its not an equal 1/4"/1/4" split at the hub face ie. a tad more of the 1/2" extra will go to the inside than make the wheel poke out! but your looking at 6mm extra poke and 6mm more inset for the sake of a mm

Offset: If you look at at wheel front on i.e. directly looking at the tread then imagine a centre line directly down the middle from North to South ...the offset is the distance from the alloy wheel hub face surface to that centre line! The bigger the offset the more the wheel will go into the arch...and vice versa

To check offsets google 'wheel offset calculator' and there are a few sites you can use...you'll need a reference wheel like your 19's ...then type in all the info you have about the new rim 2nd...it'll give you a comparsion of wheel dia , inset distance and 'poke' distance

checking with it ..your new rim will only extend 3mm more inset and 23mm more poke out than a 8J with 55ET as a reference( think thats the Mondy spec).... so it sounds as if you'll be ok on the inside...anyway of a trial fitment b4 u buy?

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
240's Is there such a size?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
245... Doh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello

I need some help, I have searched and trying to find proper information but have not yet found it. I have 2008 Mondeo. I bought new tyres 235/45/17 on the old wheels. Now I want to replace wheels and I do not want the original ones. I found wheels 17x7 and with ET40. My question, does the ET40 go under? Any rubbing somewhere? I asked my ford dealership they said that I should try, it may rub on to somewhere. Has someone tried or assemblyd that kind of wheel?

Edit: I have nothing agains origial wheels and my current wheels, old owner was some kind of an idiot and curb rash is all over the wheels, i found really nice wheels with great price, 95Eur/Piece and restoring current wheels cost about 200-250 So i want new ones.

Sorry for my English, not native language.

Best Regards

Timo

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
200 - 250 to restore your wheels? From £40 a wheel over here.

You may get away with a 40, but it will depend on the wheel design. Its going

to be a try it and see.

You maybe able to add longer studs and spacers, but that adds into the cost.

Have you got more than 15mm clearance between the wheel/tyre and bodyword

and suspension etc?

Dont forget when you hit a bump the suspension may get closer or even make

contact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey

Thanks for the answer. I think i understand what You mean. I have to measure it is it 15mm or more/less.

Timo

·
Super Moderator
29,810 Posts
If you have more than 15mm clearance now then they are likely to fit but it will

still depend on the wheel design.

You may need to fit one and check the clearances.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.