Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Little Megger
Mk5 petrol auto 2017
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My pervious Mondeo Mk3s all had 16" wheels rated for 30psi. The new 2019 Mk5 has 18 inch wheels are rated at 35psi and I'm finding the suspension very hard on my bad neck. Have any of you guys driven the same car with 16 and 18" wheels for comparison? If I put 16" wheels on the car, will the ride be significantly softer? Young guys might not notice the bumps but I'd like to hear if there's any older guys know how much difference it makes.

Thanks, Ronnie.

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
MK3 with 16's to a MK4.5 with 17's and I noticed the difference nevermind 18's. Having prolapsed disc's
probably helps with the bump detection.

·
Little Megger
Mk5 petrol auto 2017
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, thanks. At least my wheels aren't 19". Two things I hate are skinny tires and so called privacy glass but so many cars have them these days.

BTW, the difference in handling between the Mk3 and the Mk5 makes them entirely different cars. The Mk3 had a renowned chassis. It is incredibly forgiving. If you're not concentrating enough and you steer too far into a corner you can correct out a little and the car is completely stable. Try that in the Mk5 and it feels like your taking your life in your hands. If you drive two wheels through a puddle in the Mk5 you have your heart in your mouth, while the Mk3 hardly noticed it. Jackie Stewart said that you should never put on the power in a corner until you were sure you would not have to take it off again. The old Mk3 was so good that it only twitched when you made that cardinal mistake. The reason that I'm writing all this is that I wonder if the Mk5 handling will be even worse with 16" wheels.

I'm almost tempted to downgrade.

·
MEG Corporal
2,820 Posts
I find changing from my standard 19's to 18" winters more comfortable on my MK4.5 😂 Handling is affected by this of course.

My friend also has a MK4.5 but on 17's and that feels way softer, same as Purple's car but a hatchback. I can only imagine 16's would be softer still. Obviously it will have a much larger sidewall, to maintain the overall radius, so that would make things softer.

·
Super Moderator
31,704 Posts
Nephews got the 2.2LDiesel X-Sport (Hatchback) on 19's and I expected that to be yelp with pain from bump to bump
but it rides smoothly, possibly more so than mine on 17's.

Maybe my suspension is stiffer being an estate, or stiffer because it came with the factory tow pack?

·
Registered
2017 Mondeo ST Line X hatchback 2.0 TDCi 180.
800 Posts
Hi, My pervious Mondeo Mk3s all had 16" wheels rated for 30psi. The new 2019 Mk5 has 18 inch wheels are rated at 35psi and I'm finding the suspension very hard on my bad neck. Have any of you guys driven the same car with 16 and 18" wheels for comparison? If I put 16" wheels on the car, will the ride be significantly softer? Young guys might not notice the bumps but I'd like to hear if there's any older guys know how much difference it makes.

Thanks, Ronnie.
not quite the same but i went from a mk4 facelift on 16s to a mk5 ST line X on 19s. yes the tyres are a little more 'crashy' in that its easier to bottom out the tyre in a bump/pothole BUT i find it rides BETTER overall than the mk4 ever did, because its more poised on the more twisty roads in the areas i drive in, so rides less like a boat. the ride is on a par, if not better (im my parents opinion, im in my late 40s, theyre in their late 60s) than my dads Kuga Titanium on 17s with 65 profile tyres

what i have found is the mk5 is VERY sensitive, ride wise, to tyre pressures. mine need topped up as i can tell its got a little softer. the best advice i can give is if you have a car on 18s, try and find a set of wheels (even to borrow to try around the block) that are 16s or 17s, inflated to the right pressures for your car, and see which you prefer. different people prefer different rides. my parents think mine rides great, my disabled dad can even get in and out of it relatively easily (for him, he cant manage a Focus or Fiesta oddly, but somehow manages mine occasionally when we go out in it). there is ONE person though who claims the ride is terrible. but then that person moans about EVERY car ive owned since ive known them!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Hi Ronnie

Sorry to hear of your problems with the MK5, I also previously ran a MK3 ST with Eibach springs sitting on 18’s. Suspension while not really smooth was a good balance of control and comfort provided you avoided pot holes if at all possible. I was a little apprehensive moving up to the 19’s on the MK5, but again found ride is okay, again provided you avoid pot holes. Only real difference is MK5 has standard suspension so can wallow a bit more than the MK3. ( To lazy to fit the Eibach springs ) Note seats in my Titanium have similar feel and comfort to the Recaro’s in my MK3.

Have you any dealers around with similar models on 16 or 17” rims to blag a test drive. Not exactly a long distance trial but maybe a long spin around the block. Maybe get a friend to drop you so they don’t see you already have the car.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts