Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have had mondeo MK3 for a while and it decided to kill its self off during its last MOT by blowing a ring druing the emissions test, anywho I'm now a owner of a 07 MK4 Mondeo 2.0 TCDI.

With the rain in the past few days in the UK I have noticed that afterwards when I open any of the doors a get a puddle of water drop out on average I would say about 1/2 medium size cup, I cannot see any thing from inside the car, so is this a know issue and is there a fix?

Thanks Simon

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
doors have drain holes in the bottoms to let any water out, this should end up outside the car, not on the carpet, so if it is getting in the car, check the drainholes are clear (poke a bit of wire up them?), and the door membrane (under the door trim, a plastic/foam sheet) is intact.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think the water falls outside the car yes?

My car does exactly the same thing. I've never looked into it as the water is always on the outside. One thing I have noticed is that a rubber strip which I think is meant to go along the entire sill length is missing on my car.. It doesn't seem to adversely affect anything so I've never bothered to fit one.

Sent from my SM-G925F using TalkFord.com mobile app

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@siruncle, First place I checked the drain hole are clear. This morning the car was completely dry on the in side not no condensation, but when I Opened all four doors water came rushing out, the inner seal looks fine but there is an accumulation of water.

@borats Baby, Yes your right, water on the outside and inside dry

I have an image but cannot seem to see how to upload it to my library, issue for another day, in the image the inner rubber seal is dry, if its an "feature" then I can live with it but I'm concerned that it may start to rust over time or damage the print work.

Thanks Simon

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Mine does this, it's almost like the door sill seals up the drain holes in the bottom of the door. As soon as you open the door the drain holes are cleared and out comes the water,

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I only get water in the car when I lift the tailgate, it runs in to the luggage area off the edge.
I think there were some rain diverters fitted as a tsb if you complained about water ingress in the boot.

here's the mk4 tailgate shower topics:

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/93333-water-ingress-into-the-boot/

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/197920-mk-4-mondeo-water-in-the-boot/

http://www.talkford.com/community/topic/188223-mk4-integral-shower-in-tailgate/

·
Registered
999 Posts
Both the rear doors on my mk3 do it too. It's like it sits on the runner seals at the bottom of the door then floods out when I open the doors

·
Registered
999 Posts
Further to my last it appears to be somewhat of a design fault. With the passenger door open you can see a small drainage hole at the top of the actual car. When water runs through this it's then trapped inside the door rubbers and doesn't exit. Yet the drain hole in the actual door is outside of the seals so will drain away. Only to resolved this would be to cut a small section of the door seal to allow the water to escape. Not something I want to do

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The drain hole at the top of the car that you speak of, is this not the locating hole for when roof bars are fitted? It's on the underside of the top door shut? There's one at each "corner".

Sent from my SM-G925F using TalkFord.com mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts