Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MEG Sergeant
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if i have used the wrong oil in my 2.0 TDCi..

The manual states use 5W-30 so i bought the gtx magnatec 5W-30 stuff but now im unsure whether its suitable for a diesel?

This is what i have
Oil 5W-30
Can anyone advise, im worried it might cause problems?

Marc

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
a lot of modern branded oils can go in petrol or diesel engines check the label it should say and they usually have a free phone number on the label.

·
Megger
80 Posts
hi mak
if you go back to the castrol site and click on the link "which oil should i use"
you will see you have used the correct oil.
cheers gerard :D

·
MEG Sergeant
1,667 Posts
GTX Magnatec is not recomended for the diesel engine you need GTD Magnatec which is made for diesel engines
I have enclosed a pic is in the black can instead of the green one you have got.

Attachments

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
dump it and put the right stuff in :L

·
Megger
80 Posts
:whistling:
hi guys i am not wanting to start an argument but i disagree with you both.
please go to the castrol link on maks post then go to tools on that site and click on "what oil should i use for my car" you will see that gtx magnatec 5w-30 is the listed oil for the tdci and not castrol gtd which is 5w-40,
the ford handbook which i have also recommends 5w-30 oil,

cheers gerard

·
MEG Sergeant
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can this cause any problems atall?

Seems ok but im unsure now from above comments...

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
The correct Castrol oil for the Mondeo TDCi is the GTX 0-30W

Cheers
Lee

·
Megger
80 Posts
hi mak you have used the proper oil and just prove it i asked castrol and below is the answer from their technical dept i hope this answers your concerns

"GTX Magnatec 5W-30 is the correct oil to use in your Mondeo tdci and meets
the requirements of the Ford specification WSS-M2C-913B

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Castrol Technical Support"

cheers gerard :L

·
Little Megger
17 Posts
Youve used the right oil for the TDCI. Ford specify a non diesel specific 5-30 grade.
I had my 52 plate TDCI130 serviced by Ford until 3 yrs old and they told me they used Texaco full synthetic in it. I had all the usual problems with the car during that time. In December I did the 50000mile oil change myself using Halfords 5-30 which is supplied by Comma. The car runs flawlessly now ,better than it ever has.

Question for the Experts here. Are these engines 'oil sensitive' like the late nineties petrol engines were.

Maybe its coincidence and it will all fall apart again, but its funny isnt it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can check handbook and compare specification to that on the bottle. If you are going to keep car for a long time get the right stuff! It's the blood of the engine

·
Little Megger
17 Posts
Dieselhead, I know that myself but the question is why does a Ford main dealer use an oil which is of a different spec?
OK Texaco full synth is excellent oil but the handbook doesnt call for it. Why wouldnt they use Ford 5/30 as per the book. Probably because they get a deal on bulk supply. My point the engine is designed to run on 5/30 grade meeting the Ford spec. All I know is when I did the change myself and used the correct grade per the book the car, which I have cursed upside down because of unreliabilty, suddenly runs like a dream.

Funny intit.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
dont see mention of any TDDI's so thought id ask save starting a new thread, tddi shoulf be 5-30 yes?

·
MEG Sergeant
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
silvertesse said:
hi mak you have used the proper oil and just prove it i asked castrol and below is the answer from their technical dept i hope this answers your concerns

"GTX Magnatec 5W-30 is the correct oil to use in your Mondeo tdci and meets
the requirements of the Ford specification WSS-M2C-913B

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Castrol Technical Support"

cheers gerard :L
Thanks for your help mate, appreciated! :L

Marc. :D

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
anyone got a reply for me yet?

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
cool cheers ill need to source some in a drum.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As far as I know all current mainstream Fords use 5-30, Ford do not specify a diesel specific oil. I beleive the Ford/PSA developed TDCis in the Focus and C-Max also use the 5-30 spec.

The only exceptions I know of are are the VW engined Galaxy TDi's.

·
MEG Captain
3,040 Posts
i was in fords yesterday to get a 5l of oil for my focus tddi engine the guy said 5-30 formula E oil for all fords and it was £25
i nearly fell over as i have not brought any oil for about 8 years :}

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
i paid £11 for fords 5w30 oil. Goes to show its not what you know its who you know :whistling:

jcth1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts