Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

Just going to do a service on the old girl and remeber seeing debates about using the proper genuine ford spark plugs and leads, and how using 3rd party ones can give bother etc.

Any shed any light on the issue - and/or recommend which to use?

Do you need to do anthing about the gaps on the plugs as well or do most nowadays come pre set from the factory......??

My car is a 2.0zetec black top petrol, 99 reg.

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
i think the leads need to be ford ones as the non-ford one seem to break easily if not the really expensive performance ones, still these can be iffy.

I used NGK spark plugs on my mk1 without a problem peformance wise, they did make the plug leads sit a little higher up out of the engine and not flush with the top like with the proper ford plugs but i did not mind that.

You will here good and bad things about all makes of sparkplugs as peoples experiences of them can be vastly different

I used the NGK plugs as the motorcraft plugs are usually NGK's badged for ford & priced higher most of the time too. ( my mk3 ones backed this up as it had motocraft & NGK written on the plug itself. :whistling: ) I stuck some NGK's in the mk3 too and its running like a dream still ( a couple of dodgy moments but it was dodgy fuel that caused them )

For the extra couple of quid it may cost its usually better to use the genuine ford parts but at the end of the day it depends what you want to do. :L

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
Yep, what he just said.

Motorcraft leads and either Motorcraft or NGK plugs.

·
Big Megger
213 Posts
Just take a trip to your local ford parts department for them bits.

Will probably work out loads cheaper than places like Halfords/Motorworld etc anyway!

Plus if you ask really nicely, the fords parts guy can give you a discount!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for the replys, got motorcraft plugs and leads.

Since changing them the engine is 'jumpy/lumpy' , I assume the gapping on the plugs may be 1.3 as I have read other topics on this problem.

The guy at ford told me they are already correctly gapped.

I threw out the old plugs!!! Doh

The leads are all in snug and the right order.

When I come to check the gapping how can I tell if a plug is faulty if gaps turn out to be ok?

Many thanks

Ash

1 - 5 of 5 Posts