Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ford Mondeo 2.5 V6 SI and I'm a little confused. I've read that it is best to replace the plastic water pump with a metal one, but upon doing a bit of research, just as many people say it is best top have a plastic water pump as the metal ones rust. I'm a little confused, could some one help.

ALSO Why would Ford make a water pump that rusts, surely it would be rust proof or galvanised or something...??

·
Registered
305 Posts
HI Mate

Dont listen to the hype, Metal ones DO NOT RUST.

They are normally made of alloy but even if you get one made of steel it will last the life of the car.

Its a must to change the plastic one as the plastic impeller breaks easily and this happens to almost every V6.

The result of a breakage is loss of water flow, engine over heats and warps the heads so the head gasket fails.

A new head gasket will set you back around £1200 - £1500 at a garage.

So, and I think every one will agree that you should change the plastic ford unti to the metal pump for peace of mind.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Cheers
tony

·
Big Megger
321 Posts
wozman said:
HI Mate

Dont listen to the hype, Metal ones DO NOT RUST.
You sure? The one I took off my car was slightly rusted (if only I'd known it already had a metal one fitted!)

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
i had removed mine when i done my HG , and it still looked new , any one with a V6 needs to change over to a metal water pump A.S.A.P , the only people that say dont get a metal one is people trying to sell the plastic types , i will leve it up to you know but if you leve the plastic one in there or buy one all i will say is I TOLD YOU SO ;)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
in theory it should'nt rust in any case, as the chemicals in your coolant should prevent rust from occuring :L

1 - 5 of 5 Posts