Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching an old episode of Top Gear where Hamster took the Transit around Nurburgring Nordschleife and thought to myself, How many Meggers have been to the Green Hell?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Old Post I know now, but thought I'd revive it.

I've been to the ring quite a lot, normally go a couple of times a year, it really is an amazing place.

I had the misfortune (or talent shortage to be more accurate, LOL) to have a serious accident there about half a dozen years ago and the one thing you need to be aware of compared to a UK trackday is that they charge you for damage you do to track.
My bill was around 6000 euros.

That was in a BMW E30

Ive also driven it in a 350bhp sapphire cosworth (fast on the straights but a handful in the bends as it was a RWD only one and not on particuarly good suspension setup) and a 170bhp clio cup car, that was absolutely epic, slow on the straights but SO much fun in the bends.

A lot of the times I have been though since the crash I have just gone as passenger as i dont want to go there uninsured and UK insurance companies have really closed up on claims there now (luckily when I crashed there years ago my insurance covered it)

·
The Mad Kiwi
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its the same deal here. If you cause damage to the Armco barriers, the track officials will invoice you for the damage

·
Back in a Ford!!!
512 Posts
What does it cost to insure your car for the day? etc? How would go about it? I'm considering it next year.....

·
Inept Evil Overloard and speller
161 Posts
I went a few years ago, was a great weekend and the campsite was right next to the F1 circuit and it was an oldies weekend... lots of V8 and V12 cars waking you up each morning.

Keep wanting to go back... but things like house purchases and a recession meant I can't at the moment. Next time I'll make better choices about the company I go with too, a so called mate buggered of less than 24hrs after arriving and went home 'because his kid was sick' but I found out that was total bullshit and it was because the tent he raved about buying cheap was too small for him and he didn't want to sleep in it for another 2 nights... even though I had a tent with 2 sleeping areas. I reckon it was really because he's so pussy whipped that his missus moaned at him and he went home like a good little boy... trust me, his missus can be like that.

The others were friends of another friend and the three of them had a great time with their in jokes and stuff... if not for the other half, I'd have spent most of the weekend on my own.

Sunday the track was closed a few times due to accidents, so we went for a drive and found a bird & wolf sanctuary that was fun... and had some great drives around the Eiffel region, up and down mountains and so forth.

It's worth going just for the experience, for me it was a 400m trip each way and perhaps another 200 for the other bits... about £200 for petrol, £70 for the camping and about £30 for some food and drink. We did a group booking for the ferry as it was cheaper and that cost £42 per car.

Won't be able to go this year... maybe next.

·
Registered
560 Posts

·
Inept Evil Overloard and speller
161 Posts
If you go camping, and use the decent campsite by the ring... there's a Lidl just a couple of miles down the road and a bakery next to it... But they are closed on a Sunday over there. Food is cheap, as is the beer and the bakery does some of the most wonderful pastries/cakes... but need to get there in the morning for the freshest bread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.