Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
why do some mk2's 2.0l zetec have 2 back boxes? mine has it,

On mine on the left hand side is one with no tail pipe and right hand side is the other with tail pipe

but i have seen other mondeos mk2's the back box with one tail pipe on the left hand side,

What is the deal with it is one better than the other,

My mondeo is a silver top with dip sick in the middle,

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
it was a cost cutting measure. It was decided taht they could get away with just the 1 rear silencer on the 2.0 later on with the mk2. Im not sure how much later tho

·
ME
5,869 Posts
Early Mk2's had twin silencer boxes with one exit, as did the Mk1's. Slight changes were made to the engine including a reduction from 136bhp to 130bhp and the silencer was dropped. My 98 2.0 has just the one silencer. I don't think it was a case of cost cutting, more a case of it wasn't necessary anymore to meet silencing and emission requirements.

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
nilagin said:
Early Mk2's had twin silencer boxes with one exit, as did the Mk1's. Slight changes were made to the engine including a reduction from 136bhp to 130bhp and the silencer was dropped. .
I think the reduction in power was with the blacktop engines and nothing to do with the exhaust because mines a 98 silvertop and still only has the single silencer/exit :)

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
the reduction in power was in all mk2 2.0

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
Has anyone driven both? I'm just wondering if the 6BHP loss makes any difference?

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
sparker said:
the reduction in power was in all mk2 2.0
Not according to my ford dealer ..it was the updated Blacktop that had the reduction in BHP due to emissions and other reasons

·
6,199 Posts
My 1997 Mondeo broshure says 96kw (130ps) @ 6000rpm. :whistling:

Weren't there different versions of the silvertop? I think mine's a Zetec E (I would go out and check, but it's dark and raining :gayfight: ). I'm sure I've seen pics of mk1 engines which say '136BHP' on them somewhere.

Could be wrong though... :L

·
AKA The Twigg!
9,331 Posts
mines a 1997 twin back box ( now replaced with twin exit. exhaust was on the right hand side. its a silvertop 136bhp engine as well. then again thats now 155bhp

Dan :L

·
Resident LED Guru
2,912 Posts
i always thought the series 2 zetec was 130PS, down from 136PS from the mk1 mondeo

·
6,199 Posts
I wonder if the twin boxes disapeared at the same time as the power downgrade then?

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
from what i have been told "ALL" silver tops are the greater power output and it only went down with the introduction of the blacktop regardless of what type of exhaust you have on the silvertop :)

·
6,199 Posts
...yet my mk2 broshure says 130bhp? :confused:

Standard mk2 Rolling Road day anyone? :tongue:

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
HJS said:
you sure that isnt for the later mk2's ie: blacktop ?

·
It was 49.95
10,123 Posts
HJS, my standard silvertop 2.0, 136bhp on the rollers, also says that on the sticker in the engine, my friend has a blacktop mondeo, sticker says 130

By the way, WHY is it blacktop zetecs sound so much nicer?

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
blackbeltuk said:
Hi.
My 96 ghia x v6 has two back box's.
Ricky
Doh ! we are talking about 2 litre mondys lol :L

·
6,199 Posts
Dave6656 said:
HJS said:
Deffinate! I'll scan the page if you don't believe me! It is a 1997 broshure, and I think the black top came in around '99?

·
6,199 Posts
thelongmile said:
HJS, my standard silvertop 2.0, 136bhp on the rollers, also says that on the sticker in the engine, my friend has a blacktop mondeo, sticker says 130

By the way, WHY is it blacktop zetecs sound so much nicer?
Do you know the build date? Mine is May 1998 (registered November the same year).

Not having any mods I've never seen the point in putting mine on the rollers. Now I'm thinking it would be interesting if only to put this one to bed once and for all!

Is there any info available for the changes that were made to the Zetec over the production run?

Where's Nilagin? He'll know!

:L

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
HJS said:
Dave6656 said:
HJS said:
Deffinate! I'll scan the page if you don't believe me! It is a 1997 broshure, and I think the black top came in around '99?
All rather confusing as i have just seen this in haynes workshop manual and this doesnt tie up with what ford told me or your brochure :crazy: :crazy:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.