Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just found out that it's cheaper for me to insure a MK2 '96 2.0 Mondeo Ghia X than it is to insure my MK3 '94 Golf CL TD. My Golf is insurance group 9 and the mondy is group 12. Is this because the mondy has better security features?

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
Possibly an age thing too, as a ghia x mondeo is considered more of an old mans car than a golf I guess, or at least that is what I was told by a churchill advisor when I first insured my V6, as it would have been more expensive insuring something like a golf gti (8v version I got a quote for), let alone the VR6 I was tempted by!

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
i went from a t reg rover 216 si to a 2001 1.8 zetec and the insurance went down by about £75 , aint complaining :L

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MR_T said:
Possibly an age thing too, as a ghia x mondeo is considered more of an old mans car than a golf I guess, or at least that is what I was told by a churchill advisor when I first insured my V6, as it would have been more expensive insuring something like a golf gti (8v version I got a quote for), let alone the VR6 I was tempted by!
I'm not complaining, infact it's made my mind up that I want mondy Ghia X! (just need to raise the funds). It just seems daft because my Golf is bog standard bottom of the range and the Ghia X is top of the range, newer, and faster, and more powerful.

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
Insurance companies make things up as they go along if you ask me. :crazy:

When the insurance datatbase was on here, it turned out that Bookwyse pays the same to insure his ST200 estate as I do for my 2.0LX estate. We're about the same age, same sort of NCB and license held for about the same time, so work that one out. Perhaps I live in a worse area? And we're both insured with Elephant!

·
Back in a Mondeo
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree there. I thought it was all taken from one insurance database. Needless to say I've kept my reference number for the quote I got. It's just a matter of time now before I can get the cash together for the mondy, and become a fully fledged megger!

·
Big Megger
203 Posts
Probably also parts for the Mondy will be cheaper than for the Golf as VW parts tend to be pretty expensive and that's one of the big things they look at i.e. how much it will cost to fix if you stuff it.

Cheers,
J

G

·
HJS said:

When the insurance datatbase was on here, it turned out that Bookwyse pays the same to insure his ST200 estate as I do for my 2.0LX estate. We're about the same age, same sort of NCB and license held for about the same time, so work that one out. Perhaps I live in a worse area? And we're both insured with Elephant!
Agreed, That was a curious one, but I'M not going to complain about it. :whistling: :whistling:

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
MR_T said:
Possibly an age thing too, as a ghia x mondeo is considered more of an old mans car
My Arse,it's an old man's car.Where did they make that one up.
Insurance companies rate cars differently for
a vast array of reasons,but a car classed as
an "old mans car" isn't one of them. :smoking:

G

·
The proportion of older people buying a higher spec car like the Ghia X is what is being referred to.

More older people go for the comfort of say a ghia x over an ST.

Similarly younger people go for the sports looks of the ST over the Ghia X.

Insurance companies use this data when they set the insurance groupings for all new cars.

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
Just goes to show the older people have more common sense going for the Ghia X with the toys lol ;)

G

·
I've heard older people need more toys Dave. Can you be more specific about which toys you like!!!!

·
Uncle Nasty
9,086 Posts
Well,a GhiaX isn't cheaper for me,infact its £200 dearer than a same year same reg letter 1.8 Zectec Focus...

·
One time Mondeo owner - now an outlaw!
6,199 Posts
bookwyse said:
HJS said:

Agreed, That was a curious one, but I'M not going to complain about it. :whistling: :whistling:
I bloody well will though! It's renewal time next month, so I'll see what they come up with.

I asked last year how much extra it would cost to upgrade to a V6 standard V6 (ie not ST200) and I'm sure they said £100 to £150. :crazy:

·
Resident Old Fart !
7,070 Posts
bookwyse said:
I've heard older people need more toys Dave. Can you be more specific about which toys you like!!!!
all the toys that an "ST" hasnt got :whistling: :whistling: lol

G

·
Dave,

Heated Seat - Eases back pains
Cruise Control - Helps with the arthritis in the knees
Sunroof, lets the sun in to help with SAD.

Cant think of anything else.

Can you??????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.