Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Will to much load damage ignition system

236 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  sparker 
#1 ·
My car was running on 2 cylinders last week, but didnt realise until i took it about 200m along the road. It was well underpowered anyway. It not doesnt start and has been too wet to fix (plus didnt have the parts to check).

Anyway, Iv tested to check that the coil pack is getting a signal, which it is so should be firing, and its getting fuel so i know that its deininatly not getting a proper if any spark. ECU works perfectly BTW.

[quote name=Question was meant to have]back on track. Is driving it in this condition likly to damage the coil pack, leads and/or plugs? I havent actually checekd for spark as i only got my timing light that i ordered last week, in today. I have made sure that it has a good earth by running an earth strap from the battery to the capacitor on the coilpack and engine[/quote]

#2 ·
driving like that will damage the cat, and the engien, but not the ignition system.

#4 ·
Im not sure what you mean by a permanent signal. You mean doesnt pulse? Permanent closed circuit?

The coil was definatly firing cylinders 2 and 3, but not sure what was happening on 1 and 4. Would the extra load on 2 and 3 (to overcome lack of 1 and 4) kill the leads?

#5 ·
sparker said:
I
The coil was definatly firing cylinders 2 and 3, but not sure what was happening on 1 and 4. Would the extra load on 2 and 3 (to overcome lack of 1 and 4) kill the leads?
yer coil pack is gone, but running on 2 cylinders won't damage the coil, leads, or plugs. it will, however, damage the engine and exhaust system. I have a coil pack that's still good and i can easy sell you.

#6 ·
thanks anyway mate, but iv ordered one already :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.