Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my windscreen replaced about 3 weeks ago right and since then a lot of the mornings its soaking inside put it this way if it was any wetter it would be dripping off the screen also my chrome gearknob gets soaking and the speedo gets a little condensation.

what i need from you guys is your experiences more specific mk3 but any mondeo should surfice i mean in the past 3 weeks a lot of you work i know and wil lbe getting up early and going out and driving your car i want to find out whats happened with you as i think the people who have done my screen (who i wont mention at this stage) may be fobbing me off. the guy ran a piece of folded A4 paper around the edges inside the screen where he said "wouldnt get cleared" and it was bone dry, of course it would be bone dry id driven 15 miles and had the heaters on and i said there wasnt a leak as such that i could see so obviously it wouldnt be wet!!

The guy said do i use the aircon i said no because if i do it makes the screen worse so i turn it off as soon as the light comes on, the guy even said he had a mondeo before and his condensated inside and i said yes i expect condensation but i dont expect the screen to be soaking wet, he checked it doing the checks they do and said if he took it out and didnt find a problem they would bill me and im not in the position to pay out for something if they decide there was nothing wrong. This has only happened since the screen change also the rear screen has to have 2 goes on the button (i.e. put it on and when it goes off put it on again) to clear the rear screen and this is just not on!!

I need to collect evidence to prove its a problem with the screen or the screens fitting otherwise theyre not really going to do anything but fob me off it was never this bad before the screen was changed even in cold weather , yes i had condensation but nothing that wouldnt clear quite quicky.

Hope you guys can help

Thanks in advance.

·
MEG Corporal
1,033 Posts
never experienced anything like that on our mk3. Sounds like a poor fitting screen to me. Either that or your pollen filter is due a change. I'd dry the car out thoroughly and go from there. Condensation on the inside of the instrument panel? thats bad, I'd demand that its checked.
It could be any number of things though, door rubbers, pollen filter, boot rubber. Anything could be letting damp in, but as you say, its just after the replacement screen, i'd say its got to be that.

·
MEG Corporal
492 Posts
are you using the re-circulate button on the dash,as this allows the cabin to warm up quicker,but also allows it to steam up more as you aren't getting a fresh supply of air into the cabin.

Using the aircon should help clear the moisture from the car,but considering how bad the dampness is ,you may need to leave it on for a while.

It's also good practice to use it now and again during the winter so the seals dont dry up.

A couple of journeys home recently have had me using the rear demist twice to clear the screen,but this I've put don to the weather conditions

I know when we haven't used some of the cars at work during for a couple of days they have a "wet" screen,especially now the cold weather has turned up.

best getting hold of a chamois or try any of the above,untill you resolve the problem you have with the screen fitter.

However I would have thought if there was a problem with the screen you would notice it when it rains or you hose the car down

Our mondeo used to get steamy but a new pollen filter cut this right down.

;) Darren

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
panda said:
never experienced anything like that on our mk3. Sounds like a poor fitting screen to me. Either that or your pollen filter is due a change. I'd dry the car out thoroughly and go from there. Condensation on the inside of the instrument panel? thats bad, I'd demand that its checked.
It could be any number of things though, door rubbers, pollen filter, boot rubber. Anything could be letting damp in, but as you say, its just after the replacement screen, i'd say its got to be that.
polen filter was changed about 2 months ago and definately fitted properly, the carpets are not wet at all.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
willchops said:
are you using the re-circulate button on the dash,as this allows the cabin to warm up quicker,but also allows it to steam up more as you aren't getting a fresh supply of air into the cabin.

Using the aircon should help clear the moisture from the car,but considering how bad the dampness is ,you may need to leave it on for a while.

It's also good practice to use it now and again during the winter so the seals dont dry up.

A couple of journeys home recently have had me using the rear demist twice to clear the screen,but this I've put don to the weather conditions

I know when we haven't used some of the cars at work during for a couple of days they have a "wet" screen,especially now the cold weather has turned up.

best getting hold of a chamois or try any of the above,untill you resolve the problem you have with the screen fitter.

However I would have thought if there was a problem with the screen you would notice it when it rains or you hose the car down

Our mondeo used to get steamy but a new pollen filter cut this right down.

;) Darren
you cant use recirculate on the screen

yes i do use aircon once a month to keep it going as reccomended in the manual

the screen gets soaked inside even after using it the previous day, you know when you get a film of water on your car after its been raining on the bodywork? well its like that inside the screen surely this shouldnt happen overnight.

I dont like using a cloth or whatever on the screen as it leaves marks where you have wiped and being as soaked as it is id probably need 2 tea towels one to get all the wet off and another to dry it down after, i preffer to use the screen blower and if nessecary the screen heater for ice outside i shouldnt need a cloth of any sort.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
magic919 said:
Mine is fine but I don't turn off the aircon as that's asking for trouble.
i never had aircon on my mk2 and it was never this bad so i cant see how its bad on this car.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes it has been really cold temps between -4c and 4c through the night and in the mornings atleast.

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
Take off the plastic cowling under the screen (where the pollen filter is) and make sure the sealing strip is still on it. This strip stops water running down off the screen and onto the pollen filter, if it's missing or misplaced then the pollen filter will be getting wet. If it is missing then you'll need a new strip (a thin strip of foam draught excluder will do) and a new pollen filter (or take the old one out and dry it in the house). To dry the rest of the car you need to go on a good run with the heater on the highest setting, recirc off and the windows open slightly.

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wouldnt the floor be wet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can't say I've come across this before, either on my old mk1 or my current mk3. Most glass repair companies offer a pretty good service if you're unhappy with the work - is it one of the big companies?
Definitely sounds like seal isn't intact.

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
I've had this a few times on my MK2, very annoying!

I work nights and sometimes finished very early morning. It got better when I siliconed the rear lights up as water was pi**ing in through them. I think it's either my boot/door seals. Where's the pollen filter in the MK2 then? Me carpets aren't soaked but are damp sometimes.

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
totalguy said:
wouldnt the floor be wet?
No, not necessarily, it depends how much water is getting on to the pollen filter, it might be just enough to soak it but not dripping if you know what I mean. I had a similar problem (although not as bad as you describe with the amount of water on the screen) with my Mk1 when I first bought it and took it back to the car dealer and he just took out the pollen filter and said, "poor design mate, leave it out". I left it out for a while as it seemed ok, but then I put a new filter in and it was still ok for a while till that filter got damp.

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Going to add onto this.

My MK3 is fine, but my MK2 suffers from excess condensation inside the car. So much so, where it has been so cold this week there is frost on the inside of the screen!

Checked all the normal places, no damp patches on the carpet anywhere, even in heavy rain I have not seen any leaks anywhere. I might just leave the car turned on with the heaters on all day and let is all dry out :}

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.