Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have to replace my '07 reg Galaxy Ghia driver's side/ OSF wing mirror which has been damaged and is loose. Replacements aren't that easy to come by, especially with puddle lights - I presume because it's the driver's side so it gets knocked about more? So I am wondering if the Galaxy's mirrors are compatible with the S-Max or perhaps even the Mondeo as I believe they are all based on the same platform? Mine is non-powerfold, unfortunately.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

Aidan

·
Super Moderator
29,780 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply and the useful tip, Purple.

At least I now have a wider range of parts to search through. Just have to find one with a puddle light but manual foldback... unless I bite the bullet and install a pair of power foldback ones instead, if that is even possible :huh: ?

·
Super Moderator
29,780 Posts
Yep with the right loom. You many need to add some wires and a relay though.

Same with electric adjustment and puddle lights. Just needs the wiring which maybe

in place on some cars and not others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, Purple.

I'll have to get an auto-electrician to check it out as what I know about electronics is dangerous... to the car and myself.

Regards

Aidan

·
Super Moderator
29,780 Posts
Bodywork and paint is my weakness. If you find me within 100feet of your car with

sandpaper/filler or paint kill me instantly, don't ask... :D

It would look better coming out of a car crusher.. I would only make it worse than

that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking about this matter again, how would I know if my car has a suitable wiring loom in place without taking it to an auto-electrician? How can one tell if a wiring loom can take power-fold mirrors or not?

Do I need to dismantle the dashboard or take off a door panel? I have done a fair amount of mechnical work on cars but not electrical work.

·
Super Moderator
29,780 Posts
Yep the only way is to check, there have been reports of high spec cars without

additional wiring and base spec cars with lots of extra wiring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see. I guess I'll have to get it checked out by an auto-electrician then as I think it's beyond my understanding after all.

Thanks, Purple.

Aidan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again,

Well, I took the plunge and bought a used wing mirror from a breaker on ebay. The mirror fits the bill except that - inevitably perhaps :angry: - it has the 12 pin connector with 7 wires going into it instead of the 8 pin connector with 6 wires. The mirror I bought comes from an '08 model which is the changeover year but the item was still on the car so they couldn't confirm the number of pins before I paid for it, and I had hoped the car it came off might still have had the '06 - '07 connector on it, hoping it might be an early '08 model. Does anyone know if it is possible to fit my 8 pin connector onto the wires coming out of the new mirror and still retain the correct functions? In all other respects the mirror is the same spec as mine: manual foldback; electrical mirror adjustment; indicator light on the outer corner; puddle light underneath. I believe it's also heated but I don't know if mine were heated and don't know how to find out if they are. Could that perhaps be the 7th wire on the replacement item? I'd rather not send this one back if I can help it as early model mirrors with puddle lights are rare and this mirror is in otherwise good condition.

I hope someone can help me. I suspect driver's side mirrors are more susceptible to damage and early ones are rare so if later ones can be adapted it might help others in future facing the same problem.

Thanks,

Aidan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at the connectors in more detail. Apologies for the lenght of what follows but I want to be clear, both for me and those who follow with the same problem.

Perhaps if I describe the wiring in each mirror's connector someone may be able to help? The newer, twelve hole connector is very similar to the 8 hole one - type, colour, locking clip style, wire end hold-fast system - except it is wider to accomodate the four extra holes. The connectors are as follows:

The new mirror has 12 holes and is wired as follows...

NEW MIRROR - numbered on the connector as follows...

Hole 1 YELLOW (top right hole looking from front of connector with locking clip on top)

Hole 2 BLUE

Hole 3 ORANGE

Hole 4 unused

Hole 5 BLACK

Hole 6 BLACK/GREY

Hole 7 GREY (bottom right hole looking from front of connector with locking clip on top)

Hole 8 PURPLE

Hole 9 unused

Hole 10 unused

Hole 11 unused

Hole 12 unused

OLD MIRROR - not numbered on the connector so I've orientated it the same way as the new connector...

Hole 1 YELLOW (top right hole looking from front of connector with locking clip on top)

Hole 2 BLUE

Hole 3 ORANGE

Hole 4 unused

Hole 5 BLACK (bottom right hole looking from front of connector with locking clip on top)

Hole 6 BLACK/GREY

Hole 7 GREY

Hole 8 unused

So to summarise, the new connector has an extra wire (purple) but I don't know what it does. Does anyone have an idea as to what this purple wire is for? It's a 2008 model mirror but, as I said before, its specification is the same, except perhaps for a heating element. So they are both electric adjustment, indicator included, puddle-light included, manual foldback i.e. not powerfold.

Is it safe to fiddle? Can I transpose the connector from my old mirror's wires onto the new wires - they are both wired in the same order except for the purple wire - and just try to see if it works? I don't know much about car electrical systems and I don't want to fry something potentially expensive or critical like a circuit board, ECM or something.

I hope someone can advise me, and if I succeed I'll post some photos to help others because I think the availability of used, early i.e pre-2008 Ghia mirrors, will only decrease in future so a free and easy fix means we can adapt connectors from many other cars to keep our cars up to spec. I notice that my car's mirror has been replaced before but with a non-Ford item without a puddle light and it's the puddle light that seems to be common to Ghias. I presume the purple wire can't be for the puddle light as it's a single wire, but I'm not knowledgeable enough on electircal stuff to be sure.

Thank you,

Aidan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it turns out that you can easily swap the 8 pin connector onto a 12 pin mirror's wiring - without too much fuss - as the wiring is the same once it's taken out of the connector. I'll post some pics later showing how to do this but I do still have a query as the job hasn't been a 100% success - more like a 95% success (I've painted the mirror's casing with Halford's rattle cans and the result is a perfect match to the rest of the car, but I left it to cure for a week before fitting the mirror yesterday, hence the delay in my posts).

Most of the mirror's fuctions do work, i.e. puddle light, indicator light, heating element and up/down adjustment. But the left/right adjustment does not work. The wiring that goes into the 8 and 12 pin connectors is identical (yellow, blue, orange, black, black/grey, purple) and they are inserted into the same holes in each connector on both front doors. In all other respects the mirror units appear to be identical. So is it likely that the failed left/right adjustment might be due to a fault elsewhere in the system, say the mirror control switch itself or in the mirror's motor? If so, how does one test all the functions of a mirror switch without swapping it for another switch, and ditto for the motor?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Did you manage to make a drawing or do photos of this 8-pin vs 12-pin electrical connector for a Ford external mirror?
I have a similar situation now with my 2008 S-Max. Original mirror has 7 conductors on a 12-pin connector. While the replacement mirror I have bought has 7 conductors, but an 8-pin connector. Colours of conductors are close, but not quite identical.

Mirror has "steering", indicator flasher, puddle light and heating - but not memory or power-fold. That type has 7 conductors.

I am thinking of ordering some "Deutsch DT" connectors from AliExpress and use them to make up an 8-pin to 12-pin conversion cable. Then I don't have to try and de-pin either the car wiring's 12-pin or the new mirror's 8-pin.

Any insight on "what pin does what" would be most welcome. Then I can embark on this change confident I won't be blowing the fuse board!

Cheers.

Well it turns out that you can easily swap the 8 pin connector onto a 12 pin mirror's wiring - without too much fuss - as the wiring is the same once it's taken out of the connector. I'll post some pics later showing how to do this but I do still have a query as the job hasn't been a 100% success - more like a 95% success (I've painted the mirror's casing with Halford's rattle cans and the result is a perfect match to the rest of the car, but I left it to cure for a week before fitting the mirror yesterday, hence the delay in my posts).

Most of the mirror's fuctions do work, i.e. puddle light, indicator light, heating element and up/down adjustment. But the left/right adjustment does not work. The wiring that goes into the 8 and 12 pin connectors is identical (yellow, blue, orange, black, black/grey, purple) and they are inserted into the same holes in each connector on both front doors. In all other respects the mirror units appear to be identical. So is it likely that the failed left/right adjustment might be due to a fault elsewhere in the system, say the mirror control switch itself or in the mirror's motor? If so, how does one test all the functions of a mirror switch without swapping it for another switch, and ditto for the motor?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts