Ford Automobiles Forum banner

wiring advice needed.

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ianwinterbottom 
#1 ·
I've just bought a Acoustic solutions dab radio adapter for my mk11 mondy and I just need a little guidance with the wires.

There are 4 wires to connect to hard wire the unit.
1. orange=12v constant power.
2. black=negative
3. red=12v ignition on.
4. Yellow=12v lights on.

Or I can use a cigarette lighter plug that just uses connections 1,2 & 3.

Now ideally I want it hard wired. Can I just connect up the orange black & red to the back of the cigarret lighter socket? If not wheres best and hows the easiest way? Also how do I connect the yellow?
Can I connect into an existing live by just cutting back the insulation & soldering the new wire onto it & then taping it up?

See less See more
#4 ·
Why don't you use the power cables going to the back of your head unit.
That will have a constant power, switching power, earth, and lights on feed going to it

If you connect the switching power and the constant power to a constant live feed your dab unit will be on all the time if you see what I mean.

#7 ·
Ok, The dab is 90% fitted, but I have a slight problem. I have fitted the black box in my glove box, but the lead that comes from my fm Aerial (the original ford one) is not long enough to reach. Does anyone know if you can buy an extension lead? the fitting on one end has to be the same as what plugs into the back of a standard HU, and the other end has to be able to plug into that...if you know what i mean. :whistling:

#8 ·
Ianwinterbottom said:
but the lead that comes from my fm Aerial (the original ford one) is not long enough to reach. Does anyone know if you can buy an extension lead? the fitting on one end has to be the same as what plugs into the back of a standard HU, and the other end has to be able to plug into that...if you know what i mean. :whistling:
Like this for example PC5-58 at

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm

#13 ·
Right. antenna problem sorted. Got an adapter from local car spares shop. Got everything connected and working now.
Next problem.
I'm getting interference from somewhere. I would say its the ignition as when I rev the engine the interference noise speeds up to match the revs.
I dont get this on FM radio, just when I have the dab on.
I've just got the dab tuner connected via the *** lighter at the moment rather than hard wired. could this be the problem?? I presume that the factory wiring for the hu has some form of suppression killer??
any ideas chaps??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.