Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had an extra noise over the normal clackerty/clack. Thought the auxiliary pulley/tensioner might be worn.

Just had a closer look with a mobile mechanic and the crank pulley is wobbling a bit.

He said this could be bad news as it could mean the big ends are going as there must be some play in there. You can hear a bit of a knock at slow speed but dissappears when under load.

Sound about right ?

2006 TDCi 130K, seems to have been serviced regularly.

·
Mondeo Lover
827 Posts
most likely just the crank pulley needs replacing, very very doubtfull its anything to do with the big ends.

the wobbly crank pulley is a classic sign of it being knackered, its metal and rubber and when it fails it can wobble about big time, if its moving a lot then it can even cut right through the timing cover (ive had this happen to me), I'd replace the belt, tensioner and crank pulley in one go and do it fairly soon before it causes any damage to the cover.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most likely just the crank pulley needs replacing, very very doubtfull its anything to do with the big ends.

the wobbly crank pulley is a classic sign of it being knackered, its metal and rubber and when it fails it can wobble about big time, if its moving a lot then it can even cut right through the timing cover (ive had this happen to me), I'd replace the belt, tensioner and crank pulley in one go and do it fairly soon before it causes any damage to the cover.
Ok thanks, just heard this talking to another guy. Apparently there's a rubber bush in/behind the crank pulley that perishes ?

·
Mondeo Lover
827 Posts
yeah the crank pulley is made of layers of rubber and metal, the rubber perishes and allows quite a bit of movement in the pulley.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,262 Posts
I'm with Dave, even if the big end bearings was worn it wouldn't be enough to physically see the crank pulley wobbling.
Dave's advice sounds correct in saying that the crank pulley needs replacing along with idlers pulleys and tensioner.
I'm sure you'll notice a big difference in engine sound once its done.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Hi

As crankshaft pulleys fail they normally wobble at idle then noise reduces when you increase engine speed. Your pulley sounds a little more worn.

You need to ideally fit a good quality pulley ( Ford or Jaguar) along with belt kit. Cheaper pulley’s off eBay don’t seem to last.

Gates used to supply a very good belt and idler pulley set at a reasonable price, not sure if they make crank pulley’s.

Peter

·
Mondeo Lover
827 Posts
even if the big end bearings was worn it wouldn't be enough to physically see the crank pulley wobbling.
agreed, for there to be so much movement in the big ends that youd see the pulley wobbling its likely that the engine wouldve self destructed long before any movement in the pulley was noticed.

I certainly wouldnt be using that mobile mechanic again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts