Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 1999 mondeo zetec 2 litre petrol with 53000 miles on the clock.The gear stick has excessive movement in it when it is engaged in gear, regardless of whatever gear that is.
I have been underneath and the gear selector linkage consists of two cables connected between lever and gearbox. I have no experience with this type of linkage and have only had cars with a solid mechanical linkage in the past.
do these cables stretch causing the problem i have?and if they have streched can you adjust them?
or is the problem in the gearbox?
any suggestions,advice or experience in this matter !!!!!!!......cheers.... :thankyousign:

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
get a short shifter

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Cables have stretched on mine a bit but that makes some gear changes at different outside temps either easy or difficult to change gears.

I checked out my stick under my gator and noticed 2 things. 1, there was only two Torx screws in it and 2, both were loose and the support plate underneath had plenty of movement.

Undo the 2 screws where your ciggie lighter/ashtray is and the 3 in the cd/armrest compartment and give it a small yank up and pull it back. The gearbox gaitor will pop out if prised in the right place (the gaitor is attatched to plast btw) and then remove that along with the gear knob and have a butchers.

Hope this could help..

jcth1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers,jcth1..just removed my console and what did i find !!!!!only TWO torx screws (there are locations for four)and both of them loose.must have been an economy drive by fords at the end of the 90`s.
apparently ford is working on a new economy drive for the mondeo they are going to put a 300 kilo weight on the nearside front of the car and remove the offside back wheel (why produce a car with four wheels when you can get away with three)thanks again..... :L

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
if you need any of these torx screws im sire ive got some i kept loads when i stripped my car will need to look though.

·
2,220 Posts
simon13 said:
cheers,jcth1..just removed my console and what did i find !!!!!only TWO torx screws (there are locations for four)and both of them loose.must have been an economy drive by fords at the end of the 90`s.
apparently ford is working on a new economy drive for the mondeo they are going to put a 300 kilo weight on the nearside front of the car and remove the offside back wheel (why produce a car with four wheels when you can get away with three)thanks again..... :L
Ill be paying a visit to my local breakers tomorrow to lend some torx screws. Ill have a look at the mk1s they have to see if they have 2 or 4. If i can ill try to get away with some spares if it turns out fords went cheap.

jcth1

·
still lost
1,372 Posts
i got 4 from ford for my sisters they only a few ££ an they had the nylock stuff on them

·
2,220 Posts
Whats nylock??

jcth1

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
threadlocking compound on the threads , usually blue in my experience , if you get some without then you can get a bottle of the stuff that you squirt on the threads , loctite makes the stuff we use at work :L

have a look here :L

·
still lost
1,372 Posts
paulyoung666 said:
threadlocking compound on the threads , usually blue in my experience , if you get some without then you can get a bottle of the stuff that you squirt on the threads , loctite makes the stuff we use at work :L

have a look here :L
thats the stuff it stops the bolt from working it self loose

1 - 10 of 10 Posts