Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Brighton 'til i die!!
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

can anyone help.

my steering seems wobbly sometimes. Not too drastically but sometime when moving it it seems tight and then all of a sudden really loose! :loopy:

I had the same prob with my old mk2 ST24. is this common?

it seems a bit better when i turn the traction control off - could that be casuing it?

really bugging me so any help greatly appriciated.

:thankyousign:

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
Could be a number of things from the simplest and cheapest, you need your wheels balanced, to a tyre out of shape, buckled wheel, something loose on the steering rack, something loose somewhere on the front end. Could be an endless amount of things I'm afraid. Best bet would be take it to your local fast fit, Rapid Fit. They should do a free visual check and be able to tell you.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
is the wobble more noticeable at say 60 mph or 90 mph , if it is then wheel balance would be my first port of call :L

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
Sometimes steering wobbles caused by balancing aren't visable at high speed only at low speed. It doesn't follow a common rule.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
fair comment , i was only going on my past experiences :L

·
Brighton 'til i die!!
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys - may have to pop it down to a garage.

it is the same at low and high speeds, and no always a problem.

steering just feels a bit non-responsive sometimes.
i did have a flat(ish) tyre last week which has now been replaced as it had gone really out of shape too.

for example when i overtake someone, as i go over the centre line of the road it occassionally feels like it free's up for a minute then goes back to normal.
:innocent:

·
Registered
680 Posts
jamesy said:
for example when i overtake someone, as i go over the centre line of the road it occassionally feels like it free's up for a minute then goes back to normal.
is it a case of tramlining, when you hit the white line in the road (for example) the car sticks to it and tries to follow it. -have you put wider wheels on?

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
as above , what size tyres are you running on ???

·
Brighton 'til i die!!
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marney said:
Could be a number of things from the simplest and cheapest, you need your wheels balanced, to a tyre out of shape, buckled wheel, something loose on the steering rack, something loose somewhere on the front end. Could be an endless amount of things I'm afraid. Best bet would be take it to your local fast fit, Rapid Fit. They should do a free visual check and be able to tell you.
cheers buddy - gives me a list of things to tell them to check. its driving me nuts! only happening intermitently!

·
Brighton 'til i die!!
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sm1thson said:
jamesy said:
is it a case of tramlining, when you hit the white line in the road (for example) the car sticks to it and tries to follow it. -have you put wider wheels on?
sounds like that could be part of it - what does that mean though fella? :whistling:

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
Where the wheels follow the ruts in the road. Mainly where big trucks ago and alike. Do get it with wider tyres, but normally 205's, I've never had tramlining problems when I've had 215's!

As I said, most fast fit places will give you a free health check. Just dont say yes to anything unless you're sure they no what they're on about.
If they mention an antidampeningdisconfombibulator armingbush run away, run away

·
Brighton 'til i die!!
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marney said:
Where the wheels follow the ruts in the road. Mainly where big trucks ago and alike. Do get it with wider tyres, but normally 205's, I've never had tramlining problems when I've had 215's!

As I said, most fast fit places will give you a free health check. Just dont say yes to anything unless you're sure they no what they're on about.
If they mention an antidampeningdisconfombibulator armingbush run away, run away
lol lol lol. i'll keep my ears open for that one dude! :L

(so is tramlining common then - does everyone get it with big wheeled mondeos?))

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
I had it on my old V6 Ghia X with the 12spoke Ghia wheels. It's common with those wheels for some reason. Had loads of people complaining about it when I worked at a Ford dealer.

·
Brighton 'til i die!!
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also - i have just changed my front tyre drivers side last week - it is now on a cheapish tyre - would that make any difference?

is tramlining just when the steering goes a bit funny?

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
If it's a diferent tread, and the fact that one tyre's newer than the other (is the tread depth between the 2 great?) you could get a pull and funny steering.

·
Brighton 'til i die!!
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh realy - yeah ones a bitmore worn than the other and they arent the same brand - but this prob was occuring before the tyre change???

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
That could be aproblem. But I dont wanna say it is, you go and spend £80odd on a new tyre, it doesn't fix it and I get a 'oh thanks Marney' post :}

·
Brighton 'til i die!!
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol - i think i might take it to a garge at the weekend!!

would any sort of kwick fit be ok? :L

·
I did the pics
12,043 Posts
Any competent one should be fine. If you're not convinced with them, take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts