Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I am experiencing a bit of bother with my '05 plate 1.8 petrol Mondeo. When in low revs with slight engine strain there is a tapping noise coming from the engine, there is no rhythm to it and the more time i seem to spend in the lower gears (traffic or around the houses) the more likely this noise increases from what sounds like a water drop hitting a card board box to almost white noise - once the noise is at its worst it then seems to stop isntantly and return back to the normal engine sound with a mild shunt if the car is moving. Even when the clutch is depressed, breaks are off and the car has stopped the noise still happens.

I have recently had a full engine flush and oil change to try and combat this, however this has not made any difference and it is starting to worry me slightly.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
David

·
Go On.....I'm All Ears...
1,947 Posts
one word FLAPS....

http://www.talkford....graphic-detail/ bit of an epic read but you will be an expert on flaps at the end of it, so get the kettle on and crack open the hobnobs.

Video of failed flaps:
http://www.talkford....60#entry1880283

lots of tales of doomed engines due to these inlet flaps that can be totally removed and you car will still run fine with no loss of power/increase in mpg or change of emission levels!

Flapless is the way to go

Cheers paul M.

·
Premium Member
12,458 Posts
As said above, have a look at the video, and do as they do in the video to test the flaps. If it makes a change then you know it's a flap problem, if there's no change, you know to start looking at other things, but the most common sound, which sounds like what you post is the flaps. What miles has it done? Has it ever being neglected oil and filter change wise?

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
If not flaps then the other 2 possible sources are drive belt idler pulley or air con pump

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a very simalar problem, i have had the flaps removed, when i accelerate or decelerate there is no prob. but when the car gets to throttle equlibrium the rattle happens. at first i thought it might be the tappets, but it would be there all the time. could it be the knock sensor.

chaza

·
Registered
12 Posts
its not any loose sheilds, the noise sounds like very bad tappets or big end failure, its none of those but that is the sound. its difficult to pin down where its coming from even with my stethascope. but like i say with accceleration she runs fine all the time, so whatever it is doesnt seem to be a magor issue(i think).

chaza

·
Little Megger
40 Posts
Couldn't be the inlet butterflies. The OP states it is an '05 MY so would have the revised inlet manifold which does not have this problem.

Is it like a metallic sound-like the engine is pinking?? If so, could be either inferior grade petrol or just the characteristics of a timing chain driven engine.

·
Premium Member
12,458 Posts
Couldn't be the inlet butterflies. The OP states it is an '05 MY so would have the revised inlet manifold which does not have this problem.
Hate to tell you this, but there has being a few reported case's on here with the revised inlet manifold having the same problems, just take a few more miles, but not many more. Thats why most folk pull the flaps out and leave them out as they know the revised inlet manifold ends up doing the same thing in time.

·
Go On.....I'm All Ears...
1,947 Posts
""Couldn't be the inlet butterflies. The OP states it is an '05 MY so would have the revised inlet manifold which does not have this problem. ""

Famous last words.....I bet they thought that in the early years of the original design flaps, I my opinion ( for what it's worth) it's only gonna be a matter of time/miles before the 'new and improved' flaps start to kill motors and if I have not drempt it then they have already started to fail....

cheers paul m (flapless)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

I tend to listen for the flap rattle, then pull off the vacuum lead so the flaps are closed.

If the rattle goes away, then it's likely the flaps.

If the rattle carries on, then it could be something else.

My 'rattle' always goes away when at the garage and comes back at home!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts