Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK as my previous topic is now locked :S can I ask just one question.....

Websites say I need "WSS-M2C913-C", where as in my manual it says I need "WSS-M2C913-B". Which is correct? Or is a case where C can be used as its "better" than B, and at 2002 B was the top spec? I've seen "WSS-M2C913-D" too.

I've just found Shell Helix HX7 Professional AF 5w-30 5Ltr http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2002/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/5w30-engine-oil/?521772231&0&1&cc5_247and this seems most applicable for what I want, and it comes in 5 litre bottle, unlike the Castrol which I had previously found, and also comes in 1 litre bottles, again unlike the Castrol for topping up if needed. Perhaps this is will be fine?

Dean

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Both are correct.

B is the old stuff that was available when the car was made, C is the improved version.

Both are suitable, depends if you want better protection than the original?

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,547 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
OK as my previous topic is now locked :S can I ask just one question.....
I wasn't going to get involved but then I realised that the previous getting locked was in no way your fault...

Anyway, if your User Manual states -B, Ford have since stated that -C is perfectly fine for engines where -B was originally specified. I haven't seen a similar statement for -D but anything that is 'dual marked' as meeting both -C and -D would automatically be fine (and, I'd guess, -D would be fine but just haven't seen a statement from Ford on the subject).

-C is improved in some respects over -B so, if they are a similar price, you might as well take -C.

Note that any oil manufacturer can get their oil approved to the Ford specs, so if someone didn't do that they either thought it wasn't worth the bother, or their oil wouldn't meet the specs, so really the Ford spec ought to be your first port of call. (There can be good reasons why someone wouldn't do it, but largely, given that Ford do insist on the right specs for their engines, and others may or may not do that, look for the Ford spec first - it is the lower risk approach and you can get oils to the Ford spec for reasonable money.)

·
ME
5,869 Posts
As above and as I answered in your previous thread. The semi synthetic Ford recommended previously for your car has been updated to fully synthetic. If you can still get the semi synthetic to the same spec. by all means continue to use it, but the fully synthetic will be the better oil and will provide better protection for your engine.

Ford's Formula F is available on ebay from Ford dealers for very good prices.

5L for £21.99 delivered. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-5W30-FORD-FORMULA-F-FULLY-SYNTHETIC-OIL-/250659529765?hash=item3a5c78e425

1L for £7.99 delivered. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APROVED-GENUINE-FORD-1-LITRE-OIL-5W30-FORMULA-F-/230445160019?hash=item35a79a1653

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Check to see if your local Ford dealer has an ebay account.

Paynes near me will sell it to you at the ebay price and save you money on postage if

you collect. But you do need to speak to the member of staff that deals with the ebay

sales.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I use Ford formula F in both our Mondeos.

I often buy in bulk to save since we have 2 Mondeos. Tend to get a good deal on 4 x 5 litres.

If you drain the oil correctly on the Mondoe it takes nearly 6 litres to refill it.

But fortunately they rarely need topping up.

·
I might like Fords
1,691 Posts
Formula F without a doubt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just hunting around for bits for a service on a tdci mondeo I recently bought. Found castrol magnatec 5w30 a5 spec in a supermarket of all places. A 2 litre botitle for 9 pounds. Offer on till first of March 17. Every little helps..... bought enough for six changes while it's cheap...

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Seems A5 is being discontinued. A few places have it on offer, not seen 2L for £9 though.

£15 for 2L seems the cheapest elsewhere. Seems like a good price.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,458 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,787 Posts
Its on Amazon and several other sites, a few mention its being discontinued.

It may meet the cars requirements but current regs are changing again i think?

Google A5/B5 and i think regs are changing this year?

Probably too toxic so they will bring out a safer version and ini a few years they will

realise thats even more toxic. Wont be long before you can only use air or pure

water to lubricate your engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts