Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Yet another 2.0l to v6 thread!

482 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  nitz 
#1 ·
Hi, so I had some spare money and came across this 99 lx Taurus with a 3.0l duratec engine and 44.000km on it. I didn't think twice, purchased the engine it was dirty cheap, less expensive than upgrading my Galaxy S7 and getting stuck with a 18 months contract.

But I didn't do it without a reason!

Here is what I got from a 2001 Ghia V6 MONDEO a couple of years ago:

- Engine subframe with mounts
- Wiring Loom, Keys, ECU.

Sadly I left the AC compressor and alternator behind, they were almost as expensive and I can purchase it new from Ford.

What kind of accessories will be able to bolt on the Duratec? I've got the 115A alternator on the Zetec. And of course it's original A/C compressor which is quite likely the same. (Denso)

What about the flywheel, clutch and transmission?

So what do I need to do this swap? My wife wants to kill me, the engine is sitting in her Kia until I get a crane to get it to the garage lol. Or I could make a RWD Duratec Sorento. [emoji12]

Will post pictures soon.

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
So what transmission do I need to match this engine with?

Will the 2.0/2.3 Duratec MTX75 fit? Or only the V6 ones? Never thought finding a manual transmission would be hard.

They're asking U$300 for a V6 manual transmission from a Contour w/ 106k miles on it. :eek13:

Attachments

#3 ·
you need a v6 tranny, as the starter orientation is different to the others (zetec, 4 pot duratec?)

#4 ·
you need a v6 tranny, as the starter orientation is different to the others (zetec, 4 pot duratec?)
That'll be the hardest part of my conversion, finding a transmission or a bell housing for the V6, most of them are automatic, the very few ones that came with manual transmissions are mostly SVT.

Guess that'll give me enough time to find all the high performance colored rubber roses, polish & port everything and find a proper water pump.

Engine looks bad but it has about 44.000 miles on it, just rusty and dirty. The 3.0l block has 27.000 miles, it'll be a hybrid, I'm looking for the 205/200 power/torque at very least. :driving:

I noticed at the datasheets for the MK3 Mondeo there are 6-Speed manual transmissions for the V6, what are these?

#5 ·
the mmt6, i think it is made by getrag(?), again, you'll need the v6 version.

the st170 focus has a 6 speed box too. Unfortunately the st170 is a flashy blacktop zetec engine so won't fit a v6.

daft question, are you searching your country's ebay as you might be better trying the nearby countries too, unlike the uk, there probably isn't usually a big river in the way, and shipping might not be too bad?

#6 ·
the mmt6, i think it is made by getrag(?), again, you'll need the v6 version.

the st170 focus has a 6 speed box too. Unfortunately the st170 is a flashy blacktop zetec engine so won't fit a v6.

daft question, are you searching your country's ebay as you might be better trying the nearby countries too, unlike the uk, there probably isn't usually a big river in the way, and shipping might not be too bad?
I am searching the US Ebay, I'll be in NY next week, wont be a problem send this to myself.

Reactions: siruncle
#7 ·
Just realized it still has the torque converter attached to it lol.

IMG-20170705-WA0004.jpg

I'm gonna clean this mess up, it hasn't run since 2009, sorry for the picture quality.

Already found the transmission but I suspect it's not in good shape, found it on a Contour with a little over 305.000 miles on it but nothing beats U$75, probably gonna change the bearings, already got the torsen differential on my Zetec that'll use on this one.

Will also check the gears, if something smells bad I can always pick up parts from my Zetec transmission, I don't care too much about the ratio difference, I doubt it'll make a huge difference.

Things I hardly heard someone mentioning are the A/C lines to the dryer and the power steering. They're completely different.

All the engine mounts from the donor car are in pretty good shape, I think I'm gonna just use them, actually they're better than my Zetec ones which never lasts long.

Which alternator should I use with the 3.0 block? I haven't heard good things about the 2.5 Duratec Alternator, I'll probably purchase a brand new one anyways.

Should I use the factory catalyctic converter? Don't like them up there, I would rather have two or one underneath the vehicle.

IMG-20170706-WA0006.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.