Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MEG Captain
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a black top zetec in our 2.0 ltr focus and im having the cam belt done...is it best to change the water pump at the same ? also ive done a search and quoted in a post is that the black tops have an auto adjuster/tensioner different to the silver tops..does this need to be changed aswell............

·
MEG Corporal
1,162 Posts
If you change the tensioners, then you will reduce the noise produced by the belt. And by doing the water pump, you will avoid taking the engine ti bits when it leaks in the future. By taking the tension off it (removing the belt) and putting the tension back on it, you might find it leaks (mine did).

Instructions for silvertop zetecs are on my site - www.jimmycricket.com

·
MEG Sergeant
1,404 Posts
to get to the water pump u have to take the cambelt off m8, so its best to get it done now as if u need it doing in the future it will be more labour expenses :L

·
MEG Captain
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info guys and a nice site you have there James....i did buy a haynes manual today for the wifes focus and also gave her a full engine service with new rear pads however i didn't get round to doing the cambelt and water pump due to getting up to late and the local ford parts dept being shut so this will be put off till next week...im only going to be stripping it down ready as the bro in law will be doing the timing and fitting the belt...its not due for another 25k but id like it done early for piece of mind..........

·
Window licking mong
39,488 Posts
the drivebelt tensioner can lose its springyness aswell so maybe a good idea to change that while you have got it all adrift.

·
Uncle Nasty
9,086 Posts
Had the belt on my focus changed at the local garage(its a black top 1.8) had them fit the full ford kit(belt,tensioner and what ever else may be included)...Would have had a go myself (done one on my old mk1 1.8 silvertop mondeo no problem) but the engine bay is a bit smaller thus looked a bit more of a pain so got them to do it...They charged me for 4 hrs labour,is this about right?..

Garry, can you time your bro-in-law for me to give me some idea on the time scale ;) :whistling:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts